Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

sigbigdig
05-21-2003, 09:02 PM
The starter motor is hanging me up... i have removed the 2 bolts on it... still hanging me up... all bell housing bolts have been removed... one had to be hack sawed off... oh my god... ANYWAY... is there a trick to remove the tranny without removing the starter motor? if not.. is there a way to remove the starter motor without removing the intake manifold???

ssy
05-22-2003, 02:37 AM
starter motor other than a pin that the starter motor is mounted on. This pin is just a guide pin, the startmotor can be slide off if two bolts are out.

The tranny is 85+lbs, it may not be easy to slide it out. Carefully, use your pry-bar to see if you can seperate the tranny. Call it a ghetto style. I was able to seperate them using it. Whatever you do, DO NOT let the tranny hang by its input shaft on anything. Bent input shaft is a bad news.

Taking the tranny back is another business, be sure to align the clutch perfectly. And have someone hold the starter motor from engine bay while you insert the bolts from the tranny side. It makes things much easier.

SSY

bmw93
05-22-2003, 08:21 AM
We just did a engine swap on my friends 93 325i, Do your self a favor and remove the intake. It is only 8 bolts and it gives you so much more room. Use the pry bar as mentioned, do it carefully.

Sigbigdig
05-22-2003, 09:37 AM
how did you get to the firewall end intake nut? did you remove the electrical connections and the fresh air intake vent?? did you replace the intake gaskets?

Sigbigdig
05-22-2003, 09:40 AM
THANKS... I'll probably go ahead and remove the intake to allow room to withdraw the starter motor and replace it while I am in there however!! I'm thinking it would be a pain to get the starter motor out of that space otherwise.
Thanks again...

ians.318is
05-23-2003, 01:01 AM
Doing the clutch now (and new flywheel) by myself.
Starter hung up for me, too, at alignment pin.

With a long solid rod/punch (OK, I used the handle tip of a long wood file) I inserted the rod in the starter alignment hole and GENTLY tapped with a ball peen hammer. The starter obligingly separated and I got the tranny out ! Only to find the flywheel pretty well scored. Oh well. It's only money. ;)

sigbigdig
05-23-2003, 12:07 PM
After removing the intake manifold, everything became clear... not only did I need to remove the bolt that goes to the block and the bracket for the starter... but I had MISSED a bell housing bolt at the very top as well...! I have no idea how!!
got that S.O.B out at 2:00 in the morning...

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index