Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : Series III E-Type reliability

oli
06-15-2003, 12:54 AM
Years ago Jaguars were not known for their reliabilty. What exactly was the problems with these cars? As I remember most of the people complain that their cars where in the shop more than on the street.
Cheers

olias
03-06-2004, 07:29 PM
I owned a 1971 series III 2+2 for 19 years. One of the first problems I encountered was the placement of the electronic ignition module on top of the engine caused it to fry. Someone came out with a relocation kit that allowed the module to be mounted under the radiator header tank, where it didn't get so hot. This solved the problem. I think I bought this from SPECIAL INTEREST CAR PARTS, but I don't know if they are still around.

You can head off a lot of potential problems by checking all fluid levels regularly. Driving the car regularly helps too.

dlpweb
10-22-2004, 12:14 AM
buoght 1972 series III new - still own. First 3 or 4 years it was driven frequently; after that it was basically show car till storage about 5 years ago.

LUCAS ELECTRONICS. Every electrical component on the car sucks. Switches. Regulator. Ignition. Etc. Etc. Etc. It was so unreliable I dared not take it out of town because there was too much risk of having to pay for a multi-hundred mile tow. I also had a rare heating problem where the rear cylinders didn't get enough coolant, causing rod bearings and crank journals to fail (this was, of course, in the middle of a ski trip while driving from Tahoe to Salt Lake Christmas morning; stranded in the middle of the desert; 6 hours back to Reno @ 20mph.

Still, don't get me wrong. The car is a magnificant creation inside and out. The v12 is not, in my opinion, less reliable than the 6. If this is not to be a daily driver (I HOPE you aren't thinking of THAT!!!), it's a fun and reasonable toy. I still love mine and wouldn't think of a separation.

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index