Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Adam
07-24-2003, 03:45 PM
Hey guys, I always loved the Lotus but for some reason I got the Viper. I love the car and it is very fast. Now I see way too many Vipers on the street and want something different. What are current prices on 02 and why they depreciate so fast? Also I'm somewhat spoiled with the Vipers power and consider Lotus slow. My friend with stock Corvette beat 01 Lotus. How hard it it to make them faster and are there any service locations near NYC?

alan
07-24-2003, 04:36 PM
...you have either been riding with someone who doesn't know how to drive one, or you don't know much about it. (I don't mean that to sound offensive--I am just surprised at your comment.)

You can see <a href="http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/specs/z06/z06perform.html">this page</a> to see how fast various magazines were able to get the fastest Corvette (a Z06) from 0-60mph over the last couple of years. Compare that against the Esprit V8 which has a 4.4 second 0-60 time (in the hands of the right driver...but take it easy on that 2nd gear!). Perhaps the 01 Lotus that your friend beat in his Corvette didn't realize they were racing. :-)

As for depreciation, the answer is the same as the reason Vipers depreciate so quickly. They are expensive, exotic cars, and there are a limited number of people with the disposable income to buy one as a toy. The people who do have such disposable income are sometimes more inclined to spend the extra money for a new one than for a used one from someone else. People also like the warranty reassurance that comes with buying a brand new car.

I believe there are still some unsold new 02 Esprits around the country. Clyde might have a better idea of what colors are left and what dealerships they are at. If you can get a deal in the high 70s, you are doing well, and it is fair to both you and the dealer. That's over 10k off of MSRP.<br>
--Alan

NJGSX96
07-24-2003, 05:37 PM
Actually, the Lotus compared to a Viper, performance stock for stock, is considerably slower. Yes, having a compentent driver in each makes a world of difference, but the Viper has ridiculous amounts of torque and plenty of HP for the top end. On the highway the Lotus would fare a little better than from a stop but still, the Viper is all over the Lotus. The Lotus is no slouch, don't get me wrong, but going from a Viper to a Lotus will be a little bit of a downgrade as far as speed is concerned. As sad as it sounds, going from my modified 1992 Talon to my Lotus is a downgrade but that is not fair since it is heavily modified.

Dealing with the Vette vs the Lotus... I think you need a compentent driver in the Lotus. A friend of mine just picked up a C5 and while it feels faster than my S4, I can't see it being more than marginally faster than a V8 Esprit if that. Z06 would be, but not your run-o-the-mill C5.

As for modifications, there are a couple modifications out there than can make your Lotus into a true street terror. Exhaust, chip upgrade, addition of an intercooler... plenty to keep you busy and to calm the speed bug in you. More than enough to make you forget about the performance of the Viper. Then again, you can make any car fast so take that as you will. Just know that the Lotus can be made faster.

Even though you didn't touch on it, I will. Looks. Lookswise, I feel the Lotus has it all over the Viper. They are both sweet cars with different looks, but the Lotus has that exotic look, which in my book cannot be beat. Interior, I feel, is much nicer than the Viper as well. I am a big fan of the wrap-around dash and the Lotus is like a snug glove whereas the Viper is more open with a wall of gauges it seems. To each there own though.

As for maintenance, one of the best Lotus mechanics is in the NYC area, just over the GWB in Closters, NJ. It is called RS Motorsports and his name is Ralph Stechow. Awesome mechanic and a real nice guy. He may be overworked though as he has a wait for service maybe by a month.

Whatever you decide, definitely go for a test drive, look up all the info you can on them and make your own decision. Either way you are left with a nice car (Viper or Lotus) that will treat you as good as you treat it.

Rich

Adam
07-24-2003, 08:47 PM
Thanks guys for your feedback. Which dealer near NYC is the best? I'm looking for 02 because 03 is 90K while 02 is 10K or more less.

alan
07-24-2003, 09:32 PM
...I think it is a good move going with the '02. While '03 is the last model that will be made, there are virtually no changes from the '02, and the '02 is the 25th anniversary edition. The '02s are individually numbered from 1 to 100--that's all they imported into the U.S. that year.

If you get one, be sure to post some pics here for us and let us know what #/100 you got!<br>
--Alan

LotusACBC
07-25-2003, 09:25 AM
Definately check out HuntinRidge Motors in Greenwich, Connecticut. There is a post I think below this or above this post that has the info. Those are greta people to deal with and knowleadable. Steer clear of NY Lotus dealers, they are unprofessional and generally dont give a damn about Lotus. ESPECIALLY Manhattan Motorcars

Feffman
07-25-2003, 07:21 PM
Alan:
Call Dave Behlmann at Behlmann Mid-Rivers Lotus in St. Louis. He has a VERY nice azure blue 2002 Esprit he really wants to sell. You can reach Dave at (636) 397-2700 or e-mail Dave@MidRiversLotus.com. Yes he can/will ship the car if you need him to.

You can see photos of the blue 2002 Esprit at our club web site in the "For Sale" section in the left column under Behlmann Automotive.
Feel free to call me if you have questions.

Mark Pfeffer - Grand Poobah St. Louis Area Lotus Lovers (STALLS)
(314) 889-0572

Adam
07-25-2003, 09:31 PM
Thanks again for your help...I'm looking for yellow or orange. I think that those colors make the car look great.

LotusACBC
07-28-2003, 02:36 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2425383411&category=6312

Adam
07-28-2003, 05:32 PM
Looks great and the price is good but I like the 02 back light more

alan
07-28-2003, 05:58 PM
...Valenti Motors in Watertown, CT.

<a href="http://www.valentiauto.com/">http://www.valentiauto.com/</a>

No affiliation--just know you are looking for a yellow 02 and saw that they have one. They have it on eBay right now, but I am sure if you called them and said you would buy it for something in the high 70s they would consider the offer.<br>
--Alan

Adam
07-28-2003, 06:17 PM
Thanks...I'm going to visit them. First I need a testdrive because when I sat in my friends Lotus I kept hitting 2 pedals at the same time. I had that problem in a Viper but now I'm ok. I don't have big feet size 10 only. I also know guys with bigger feet that drive Lotus. But I want to make sure.

alan
07-28-2003, 06:37 PM
...and I have the same problem if I wear shoes that are fairly square-toed. The pedal spacing is indeed pretty tight, but you will get used to it and soon be able to drive it ok even with wide shoes. If you use driving shoes or moccasins, you won't have any problems at all.

Just avoid ever trying to drive it with boots--that doesn't work well at all! :-)

Let us know what you think of the car once you drive it again!<br>
--Alan

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index