Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

mmukalian
07-28-2003, 09:03 AM
OK, after 3 days (2.5 actually) I got my car back from service. I must say, Devon Hill's a great place. The service guys were very courteous when sitting down and talking to them of issues.

The car went in for a DSC issue, Airbag issue, and a shifting "issue" where 1st and 2nd are tough throws. The DSC was a fautly sensor, which they replaced with no problem. The airbag was also a faulty sensor, but they replaced the sensor and the entire airbag unit itself just because (according to the service rep) he doesn't like to 'F' around with airbag stuff. So I thought that was cool.

Now, the shifting issue...well, here's where I'd like some input. 1st and 2nd throws are kinda tough. Sometimes it goes, sometimes it seems like you have to force it, but then let off the pressure, and push again, and it goes right in. So, I told the service guy of this. Luckily he told me, "BMW was in the dealer" the next two days (I guess BMW has travelling folks that serve as reference material? Aren't all mechanics at a BMW dealer a BMW mechanic? Am I naive?) and he'd talk to him of the issue. Here's the response he was given, and then regurgitated to me.

Apparently, BMW designed 1st and 2nd gears in the tranny to be tough on purpose, to minimize mis-shifting (going from 4th to 2nd for example). So, they're thinking (if I understand this right) is that a tough throw will make a driver "think" about what he's doing if the gear doesn't catch.

Opinions, thoughts, anything on this?

Sorry for the grammatical errors (if any) folks...I've only had 1 cup o'coffee ;)

TIA

-Michael

alevy
07-28-2003, 09:17 AM
Im not quite sure they "designed it that way" on purpose.. but this issue is evident in all e46 m3's.. its not a problem with you're car. A short shift kit (Rogue Engineering Octane with WSR) and a switch of tranny fluid (Royal Purple) will help smooth this out a bit.. It wont rid you of it completely but you will notice an vast improvement. That is what most people here do as their first or seceond mod.. an SSK.

-Alex<br>-----------------
-Alex Levy
03 Alpine White M3 (On-Order)
Cinnamon Leather / Aluminum Trim
SMG / Nav / Xenons

mmukalian
07-28-2003, 09:41 AM
if installed by the dealer, affect/negate my warranty?

Jay Velasco
07-28-2003, 09:48 AM
to shift from 1st to 2nd, try doing this: while in 1st gear, pull the shifter to the left and then shift to 2nd. It should slide to 2nd gear pretty nicely. At least it works on my car. I really don't have any issues with notchiness once the car is warmed up.

alevy
07-28-2003, 10:43 AM
The SSK will not void any warantee.. as for the Royal Purple.. i dont really think it will be a problem..

-Alex<br>-----------------
-Alex Levy
03 Alpine White M3 (On-Order)
Cinnamon Leather / Aluminum Trim
SMG / Nav / Xenons

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index