Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : Reading the "mile marker" online magazine and.....

Spencer7
08-11-2003, 02:23 PM
Jay Leno has become clearly confused!

"Collin Chapman used to say, "You build a car, then add lightness," and that's a really great thing to say and do. Mazda did it with the Miata, as did MG with the TR3. But we Americans seem to associate light cars with femininity, which is absolutely silly."

MG made the TR3??? I thought Standard-Triumph did way back in the mid-fifties. I think my dad lied to me! And he must have doctored-up the paperwork because it said "Triumph TR3". Please say this isn't so! Jay Leno the self-proclaimed car guy, he who thinks bleeds 10W30 oil is mistaken! And to think, I looked up to a guy who is confused about his British sportscars, as well as driving the MG TR3 for a magazine in which he appeared on the cover with the said "MG". Shocked!
Sorry for the rant, but like I said shocked. The Tonight Show will never be the same for me.
take care,
SpencerM

Stock
08-11-2003, 07:19 PM
and later TR3a (US only) were made by Forward Radiator Company. Except Jay intended to say "as did the MG and the TR3".

Jimbo733i
08-11-2003, 08:22 PM
Owning 3 MGAs I take offence to someone thinking they made the TR3, ok well I'm not really offended.... One of our MGAs beat a TR3 in a car show recently, won 3rd out of its class and showed the TR3 who was boss...(but there were only 8 cars in it!)

~James

Will 00=[][]=00
08-11-2003, 10:09 PM
My son's TR6 was posted on the AutoTrader internet before theappropriate specialty mag got published. The buyer drove 500km to drive and buy the little pocket rocket away. We have continued to get phone calls for a month. Devotees of the British sports car approach (lightness, exposure to all weather conditions and truly lousy electrics) will be aghast at any confusion between MGs and TRs.

steve
08-12-2003, 01:05 AM
I was transcribing notes from a taped interview that I had with him back in April, and I forgot to include a few key words like "Triumph" - my mistake. :-)

Thanks to your keen eyes, I went back, listened to the tape and updated the text to reflect what he actually said. Thanks again for the heads-up, guys & gals.<br>
-Steve

<a href = "http://www.gurureports.org" target = "_blank"><font face = "verdan"a color = "red" size = "2"><b>GURU REPORTS:</b></font></a> <i>Unbiased, impartial, practical testing and evaluation of car care products.</i>

Spencer7
08-12-2003, 01:23 PM
I guess it's the way I was brought up, and why I took offence to the "MG TR3". TR's in our house were considered superior to MG's. The last "real" MG's as I put it were the MGA's and MG TC and TD. But James, it is good to know that I'm not the only guy on this board who also likes British sportscars. When my dad and I get the TR6 on the road, we should plan a meet or something- a nice British gathering.
take care,

Jimbo733i
08-12-2003, 07:43 PM
the TRs are better then the MGs in a performance way... we've got 3 MGAs ,1 MG Magnette (like a baby bentley), and the recent aquisition of a TD, they are all under powered and my dad admitted that the TR4 his friend had was a lot faster...he also went on to admit that when they were made they were about 10 years behind on technology.... but I'll admit... the women love the MGAs ;o)

~James

Marguerite
08-13-2003, 06:59 PM
I had a Triumph...TR3. Lately have been having fun rebuilding a 1950 MG TD... you know the early Midget.

cheers
Marguerite
'87 735
'89 Range Rover

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index