Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index


08-16-2003, 10:59 AM
Greetings, I have a 1979 733i and I'm needing a little help, first is about the aux air valve, where is it and what does it do, second is the headlite doors, the bolts behind the parking lites just spin, any way to get at them from the back?, or is there a trick for getting the grills off, I'm trying to replace a headlite. Thanks and cheers, Rick

08-17-2003, 04:38 AM
On the older engines, the aux air valve is located in the vacuum pluming on top of the valve cover, near the rear of the engine. It's the one located in-line with the larger diameter vacuum tubes that go to the throttle body on the rear side. It's used to up the idle of the car when the AC is on. Early engines don't have the idle control valve.

For the screws holding the turn signals, you can get to the back of them by removing the splash guards in the wheel wells. It helps if you turn the wheel to the oppisite side of the car (turn the wheels to the right to get to the left easier, turn to the left to get at the right). The screws go into nylon grommets that press into holes in the sheet metal. Those can come loose with age and spin, and in many cases you'll find they were replaced with nuts and bolts (I've seen that on more than a few pre-82 cars, ut bolts were never factory).

Hope that helps.

'80 733i

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index