Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

rduncan
08-18-2003, 01:46 PM
OK, I've heard a lot of folks questioning why they'd purchase a 6er recently, which is understandable, since no one knows for sure what it'll be like. Except expensive (references to 7-series prices in some prress announcements). So here's what I expect:

1) Scoot

2) Quiet
I've had noisy before, and I've grown too old to enjoy it as a regular attraction. I guess I'm having conversations with my wife, or child, where before I would simply enjoy the engine sounds. Don't get me wrong; I roll down my windows to enjoy the whump of a nice, Porsche flat 6, or a Ferrari 12-cylinder hum. But I don't want it to be present all of the time, in my head.

3) great balance of ride quality (dampening) and control/precision
This is a hard one, since it's really a compromise: a combination of both great handling AND driveability. I do not want to drive a Formula Form to work every day, nor a Z4, for that matter. Both are loads of fun, but they remind you of every pebble on the road. No thanks. This is an area where BMW is known to get it right, and I love it! They can deliver a car that carves a turn AND provides a comfortable ride.

4) Beautiful looks, inside and out.

5) Room for 3 (or 4)
I agree, this disqualifies me from considering other quick cars. I want a car that does it all: can thrill me to drive it, providing great feedback, but also enjoyable to take on a trip with gear. Can't do that with a "true" sports car (unless you can pack in a knapasack, which is no longer an option if I am travelling with my family). Again, I've enjoyed not having this constraint: why buy a back seat and trunk if you do not need it? I owned 2-seaters and enjoyed the benefits of not having to concern myself over that requirement. Those days are gone.

6) Excellent safety, active and passive
Haven't had a mishap in many years, but it's good to know that if someone makes a mistake, you'll probably won't suffer as a result. I've had small, light cars that I would never want to have involved in a collision, espec. these days with those tank-like SUVs (with bumbers around my eyeballs, and weighing 5000 pounds).

7) Useful technical advances
OK, I admit it, I do enjoy gadgets, and would enjoy the HUD, advanced traction control, Bi-Xenon lights, etc.

In summary, this set of compromises reminds me of the tune, "I'm an adult now" by Pursuit of Happiness (more than a few years back). You still want to rock it, but not soooo loud. ;-)

Music and lyrics to "I'm an Adult Now" (good for a few grins)

http://tpoh.weirdways.com:6364/TPOH/live%20@%20the%20Horseshoe,%20June%2022,%202002/TPOH%20-%20I'm%20An%20Adult%20Now.mp3

Well, I don't hate my parents
I don't get drunk just to spite them
I've got my own reasons to drink now
Think I'll call my dad up and invite him
I can sleep in till noon anytime I want
Though there's not many days that I do
Gotta get up and take on that world
When your an adult it's no cliche it's the truth
(Chorus)
'Cause I'm an adult now
I'm an adult now
I've got the problems of an adult