Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : No Leapers in England?

elvisp
11-26-2003, 09:54 PM
I just got back from a vacation in England and noticed there were no leapers on jags there... why?

XJ842SE
11-27-2003, 04:53 AM
As I posted on the other board you posted this question on... (Why do people do that?)... The same people generally subscribe to all the Jag boards so why not post a question once and then wait for people to answer it?...

Anyhow, to answer your question...

Because they're illegal. As others have said, it's a safety issue and aimed at offering a little protection to pedestrians. Despite the responses of others, it does actually make sense. While a pedestrian is going to suffer of course if they're hit by 1.5 tons of car, they will suffer a lot more if there's something on your bonnet (hood) designed to rip them to shreds as well as break a few bones.

Mercedes get away with it because their star is spring loaded and will fold flat. Rolls Royce and Bentley because their ornaments have proximity sensors that ensure they disappear into the grille when something gets near to them.

It surprises me that they're still legal in the US. Afterall, it's because of US safety legislation that cars have platic jelly mould bumpers (fenders) nowadays - not that that's a bad thing, but to pass legislation that makes a metal bumper illegal (to protect pedestrians) but still allows a stabbing implement seems a bit crazy too.

Regards,
<br>Dave B, XJ8 4.2 SE.
Wiltshire, UK.
<A HREF="http://www.dandmbr.co.uk/jaguar/" TARGET="_blank">Pictures of my Jaguar</A>

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index