Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

devo
01-06-2004, 09:46 PM
I'm in the Washington, DC area. We usually don't get a lot of show here, although I love driving in it. I've driven my '88 E30 325ic daily for seven years and 60K miles. No rust or other weather related problems.

JLee
01-06-2004, 09:59 PM
ha ha....

for your commute its probably an ok daily driver, you don't hit the roads in DC proper like I do...

why do you need this is as a daily driver ?

jeff

devo
01-06-2004, 11:11 PM
outside and I live on a hill. We have 4 cars now (need to sell 1-2 BMWs ... mine) and we only should have three autos ... a mini-van for my wife, a Cutlass for my daughter (it's aged a couple of years in her first 4 months of driving ... good practice car) and my two. It's too much of a hassle to park down on the street or leave a second car backed up outside under the trees under cover (to be sold in the spring). I want my car in the garage. I'd love to have a 3 or 4 door/car garage. I'll sell both 325ic models when/if I get the M3. It sounds like a good plan to me. I only live once.

AC
01-07-2004, 02:48 AM
Let me know what you are asking for the 325ic looking for a run around. E-mail me.

Steve Marr
01-07-2004, 04:24 AM
I use my 89 Cecotto as a daily driver - do about 14000 miles a year in all weathers.
Here in Scotland we do get snow in winter so I have a spare set of 15" rims with crazy rally snow tyres. They hum like mad over 50 mph and make the car drive like an old jalopy, but are great in bad conditions. (Also, when it's a bit damp and you boot it, you get good tail slides coming out of junctions!)

Fuel consumption isn't great - averaging about 22miles per gallon commuting, but what the hell, it's a fun car to drive at any time.

Cheers
Steve

JLee
01-07-2004, 06:24 PM

JLee
01-07-2004, 06:25 PM
actually, i think you should buy it, bring it down here so i can take a look at it and buy it from you !!

HA HA HA

Ironhead
01-07-2004, 06:25 PM
You could drive it every day, but I don't think it would be a "good" daily driver. They are kind of temperamental, parts are expensive and not immediately available, and they are also a "rare" car. The more they are "daily driven" the more likely they are to be wrecked.

I think they are better suited to be a toy/project/weekend car. But thats just me.

Corrajem3
01-07-2004, 09:45 PM
2000 with no problems. It is a strong car and you will enjoy it daily, instead than once a while, when you don't used it frecuently.

Regards

Jose Perez
1988 Henna Red with Maf.

MPower
01-07-2004, 11:31 PM

JPL
01-08-2004, 12:12 AM
If you have open curvy roads it is a fabulous daily driver. If you commute on straight clogged highways it makes a lousy daily driver. When the engine is cold, minivans will blow you off the line. This said I love driving mine most of the time especially around the curves. Keeping speed below 100 can be difficult. I keep it in top tune. Plugs every 5k, synthetic oil every 3-5k, valve adjust every 20k, replace anything that breaks, etc.

JPL

devo
01-08-2004, 11:03 AM
space for one car for me at this time.

david 87M3
01-08-2004, 12:59 PM
Great toy in the garage. Pain in the bum in rushour traffic

M3solo2
01-09-2004, 06:30 PM
you therefore must drive it daily. I would much rather drive an E30 M3 daily as my only car than not have one at all. Enough people have proven that it can be done, and done enjoyably. For all the potential drawbacks of daily driving an E30 M3, not driving one at all is the worst thing I can think of.

For the record, now mine sees about 5K a year, and I have an alternative car for days when I choose not to drive my E30 M3 (mainly winter-I don't have it set up with snows). 8 years ago, I drove it daily and it was great AND my only car, but I would not put it in the ideal daily driver category - but would rather have had it than not.

Brian

87ic
01-11-2004, 09:51 PM
I garaged the convertible for the winter (no snow) and have been driving mine daily. Other than not wanting to put mileage on it or risk damage I really don't see why the M3 is any bigger deal to drive every day than any other small car. "bigger deal" meaning what's so hard about driving the M3 every day? I drive it in traffic in the morning and I don't find it any more of a pain then driving any other car with a stick. No torque some say. So, how much torque does it take to drive in stop and go traffic? If anything, I find having the better brakes than my ic a plus. Most wrecks (I see)are from not stopping soon enough, not taking off too quick.

Just my thoughts....

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index