Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : 2004 XJR - possible lease

BKH
01-11-2004, 06:52 PM
I am considering leasing an 04 XJR. It has 2K miles on it and is a certified used Jaguar. The previous owner traded it back in for a Vanden Plas. The car suffered massive depreciation in it's two months of ownership, which is only to my potential benefit. It has navigation and the DVD entertainment option (I really don't need the later, but it does look impressive). Here's the deal: I absolutely love the car and I have done tons of internet research, reading ever review imaginable. Except for those reviewers who love only German cars, I cannot find one bad thing about this wonderful car. While repair costs don't worry me, as the vehicle is certified and consequently carries the 6yr / 100K warranty, I am curious to know if anyone has had bad experience with Jag's certified warranty program. I am also curious to know if anyone has suffered any reliability (especially electrical) issues with this new model (either XJ8 or XJR), or if anyone simply has good advice for a potential buyer.

By the way, I am defecting from BMW. Except for the MINI Cooper, they've just lost their way, in my humble opinion.

Thanks for any help / words of advice!

Rebelreiver
01-12-2004, 10:25 AM
I currently have 3k miles on my '04 XJ8. I have experienced no problems whatsoever. I took delivery in late August. I did have the oil/filter changed at 1300 Mi as part of what I consider good PM. I use Synthetic 5-30 and will change oil every 5k miles in future. Jaguar's covered oil changes every 10k miles/1 year is way too lax in my opinion.

How much did this XJR depreciate over the 2K miles/2 months?

charlienmr
01-12-2004, 12:26 PM
Had my XJ8 for 5k miles with no problems at all. Will be taking it in for an oil change soon.

Charlie

DJ
01-13-2004, 08:46 PM
I purchased a 04 XJR in December and have had no major problems to date. (There is a TSR on water entering the upper left boot seam and falling onto the amp for the sound system)
The car has been wonderful.

CPABLUM
01-14-2004, 10:07 AM
I've had the XJ8 only one month, and other than the silly high mount stop light glare at night, which is a very easy fix for anyone, the car has been flawless. Funny, I too am a BMW convert...just rolled out of a lemon flavored 745Li. Now I know what the "L" in 745Li stands for!

XJ842SE
01-14-2004, 03:17 PM
My XJ8 is a wonderful car to drive now that Jaguar sorted out its vibration problems. The technology on the other hand, especially the implementation of it, is disappointing. Not terrible, but Jaguar could have and should have spent more time on it making sure it was really useful in real life. Silly little quirks... but this depends of course on what's installed in the one you're buying. If you're interested in reading about the technology, there's more info if you follow the link below.

Regards,Dave B, XJ8 4.2 SE.
Wiltshire, UK.
<A HREF="http://www.dandmbr.co.uk/jaguar/" TARGET="_blank">Pictures of my Jaguar</A>

BKH
01-14-2004, 05:17 PM
Thank you for the advice, everyone. It sounds like the only problems so far are just "teething problems" for a new model. If I had to list everything that went wrong with my '99 750iL after four months of ownership, roadfly.org might have to get a larger server!

After a week of negotiation, I now own a certified XJR with 2600 miles on it. I leased it at a cost of $64,000. List was just shy of $80K. It is dove with the slate interior. It has the multimedia package and the navigation package. While I have only had it for a few hours, I really love this car.

I know I will have plenty of questions after diving into all the manuals tonight. As of now, I've just noticed one odd thing -- isn't the passenger side mirror supposed to pivot down when you put the car into reverse? I've tried switching the mirror setting to Left, Right, and the center position, but the mirror just stays put. Does the XJ not have this option?

Thank you again, everyone. Here's to hoping the honeymoon lasts for 36 months!!!

XJ842SE
01-15-2004, 08:36 AM
Nice one! To answer your question, yes, it is supposed to dip down but I believe this is a dealer programmable setting. Your dealer therefore should be able to put this right. I don't believe it matters what position the mirror switch is in.

All the best with your new car - I'll bet you're grinning from ear to ear :)

Dave B. 2003 XJ8 4.2 SE
Wiltshire, UK.
Pics of car at: http://www.dandmbr.co.uk/jaguar/
Dave B, XJ8 4.2 SE.
Wiltshire, UK.
<A HREF="http://www.dandmbr.co.uk/jaguar/" TARGET="_blank">Pictures of my Jaguar</A>

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index