Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : Integrated Cell Phone - US

BKH
01-19-2004, 04:40 PM
I wanted to have the integrated cell phone installed in my 04 XJR. The dealer just called, telling me that all the parts were in; however, AT&T Wireless was the only service provider at this time, and that Verizon may have a compatible phone later this year. I am currently with Verizon and do not want to switch.

Can anyone verify that AT&T is truly the only provider for this?

Thanks.

XJ842SE
01-20-2004, 06:28 AM
Not sure what the model of phone is in the US, but I assume it is a GSM phone? Here in the UK my dealer told me that the Jaguar phone only worked with one provider (vodaphone). This didn't make any sense as the phone is a standard (read sub standard) normal dual band GSM phone. Therefore I couldn't see any reason why it wouldn't work with other providers so I went to the dealers and sat in an S Type with exactly the same phone fitted and stuck my own SIM card in it. This is from a different provider (Orange) and it worked perfectly. The dealer was amazed, but then they didn't understand phone networks.

Could you not do something similar with your dealer?

Regards,Dave B, XJ8 4.2 SE.
Wiltshire, UK.
<A HREF="http://www.dandmbr.co.uk/jaguar/" TARGET="_blank">Pictures of my Jaguar</A>

PaulNeko
01-20-2004, 02:04 PM
I have also been told that the phone is a dual band GSM phone (old technology). The only carriers I know of using GSM are ATT and T-Mobile. Sprint and Verizon are CDM and Cingular and some ATT programs are on TDM. Nextel has their own system.

BKH
01-20-2004, 06:16 PM
I contacted another dealer, hoping to obtain additional insight. I was told that in the US, AT&T Wireless is the only provider whose cell phone frequencies do not interfere with the GPS system in the car. I am going ahead with the installation next week. I'll let you all know how it goes. Thanks for the advice!

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index