Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

RICH
02-06-2004, 07:18 PM
I HAVE BEEN DRIVING MINE FOR ONE WEEK AND LUV IT. BUT WHY THE REQUEST FOR PICTURES. THERE A PICTURES OF THIS CAR IN EVERY AUTO MAG FOR THE LAST YEAR.

I DONT HAVE A DIGITAL CAMERA OR I WOULD POST. BUT IT WOULD BE NO DIFFWERENT THAN THE PICS IN THE MAGAZINES

msheri01
02-06-2004, 09:38 PM
I think it is curiosity about the car's "real-world" appearance. The magazine photos are all professionally composed and lit.

Rich H
02-06-2004, 11:03 PM
I agree that pictures are secondary. There are plenty of pictures available on the web and via dealers. What I, and I assume others, are interested in is the driving experience. I know that you have indicated that the car is very fast but can it handle as advertised? This car was developed at Nurburgring to compete against and better M3s and M5s which sell for up to 50% more. I've driven both BMWs but not a CTS V. Is there anyone out there (besides car magazine testers) that has driven a CTS V and a world class sports sedan for comparison?

There was a very detailed personal account a few months back on Cadillac's performance forum by a young guy who had owned and driven many Corvettes including a Z06 for comparison. His father was in the GM corporate circle and somehow got a pre-production CTS V for him to drive for a week in the Detroit area. Bottom line was that although he kept pressing the car, he could never quite find the performance handling limit. He was afraid he would exceed it and always backed off. The question was whether the car lacked the proper responsive feedback or whether he was just inexperienced - or maybe a track is the only place to find the real limit.

After you have become comfortable with your car, weather permitting, let us know of any further driving impressions that you might have.

Rich H.

nupeskee
02-06-2004, 11:13 PM
yelling. Are you yelling?

backaruda
02-08-2004, 01:20 AM
Rich, if I recall, you bought your car in IL.

I just bought one also and the dealer told me there currently is no front plate attachement arrangement. Seems kind of odd that they would ship to IL without a factory front plate arrangem,ent. they gave me a stock CTS one that was probably in the car and will not work because it was designed for the normal CTS fascia. Maybe the factory just gave them the wrong one and they don't know any better.

Do you have a front plate ?

Other than that, and having driven it on it's maiden voyage from Naperville to downstate Monday night in a snow storm with NO plows working, it's a great car and the more I drive it, the more I like it !!!!!!

RICH
02-08-2004, 02:37 AM
IND DOES NOT NEED A FRONT PLATE. AFTER DRIVING RTHE CAR FOR THE LAST WEEK I NOTICED ALOT OF WHEEL HOP. I WAS NOT CONCERED THINKING IT WAS THE COLD WHEATHER IN CHICAGO BUT AFTER READING THE R&D ARTICLE THIS MONTH IT APPEARS THE PROS SEEM TO BE CONCERNED ABOUT THE WHEEL HOP.

IF YOU GET ON IT OUT OF THE HOLE SLOWER YOU CAN PREVENT IT BUT IT IS A CONCERN

RICH
02-08-2004, 02:44 AM
THE ONLY CONCERN IS WHEEL HOP UT OF THE HOLE. IT WAS MENTIONED IN CAR AND DRIVE RTHIS MONTH. BEING NEW TO HIGH PERFORMANCE CARS I THOUGHT IT WAS NORMAL IN COLD CHICAGO WHEATHER. BUT IT IS BAD WHEN YOU GET ON IT OUT OF THE HOLE. YOU HAVE TO BABY IT TO PREVENT WHEEL HOP. THAT CUTS INTO THE 4.7 THE FACTURY CLAIMS

backaruda
02-08-2004, 11:36 AM
Thanks Rich

I haven't gotten on it that hard from a start yet - weather here won't allow it, so I can't comment on the wheel hop.

Being an ol' drag racer, managing launch control and wheel hop is something I've had plenty of practice at. I'll let you know what I think once I get some pavement to play on. This spring I'll probably even get some real world, real show room car drag strip times to share.

It sounds to me like they made some last minute geometry adjustments in the rear, bushing durometer changes or they may even have some rear alignment settings not getting done quite right at the factory that are aggravating it. If it's really a problem, they'll get it figured out. I'm sure Heinrecy's focus was on the road course and not on standing start quarter miles (I worked for him for a short while back in his 'vette days).

In the real world, road course performance is more indicative and given the choice in the inevitable compromise of suspension tuning they would have gone with ride and handling over what most buyers will infrequently do - WOT standing launches (I'm sure I'll be doing some and so will plenty of CTS-V owners, so thay may have a dilema that requires rework, new suspension bits). The low end torque characteristics of this engine are quite different than that of most of it's competitors - it's a miraculous taxi cab / truck engine that can do things other engines only dream of and at a much lower cost but harnessing it's virtues is quite different.

Car and Driver generally delivers good numbers but they drive cars in a way that few owners really ever will. That's why they started doing this 5-60 street start time. It's always good to have the magazine guys like a car but what professionals do with cars they don't own and what owners who are paying for their cars do are two different things. I used to be one. Car magazine test times offer great bragging rights but most the real world battles with the bimmers, etc. won't be fought by lining up at stop lights, they'll be from a roll. Would have been nice to been able to brag about magazine test number suprmacy but I think we still made a wise choice.

My best rationalization for the day.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index