Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

MTBenz
02-08-2004, 02:03 PM
I have a 1999 C43 with 58,000 miles on it and recently the check engine light came on. (it drives fine when I absolutely have to drive it) I was wondering if it could possibly be caused by needing an oil change which is coming up soon. If anyone has had this problem (or knows what it is) and knows how to fix it please let me know.

Mike Farrell
03-22-2004, 03:18 PM
Check the gas cap first. Sometimes when I don't get it on tight after a fill up the check engine light comes on. Even if I refill the tank it sometimes takes a while for the light to go out.

BahnBrenner
04-14-2004, 03:58 PM
I have a 98 c43 and have had the check engine light come on occasionally as well. From what I've read online its not a big deal if you don't sense that the car runs any different. Engine knock/ ignition timing is likely the cause. You can have your dealer check the fault codes next time you get service.

Anonymous
11-09-2004, 04:04 PM

ajd001
09-27-2005, 10:46 AM
Just this weekend my check engine indicator light came on for the first time - I have a '96 C280 Sport which now has 45,000 miles. I drove the car to a local dealer who also recommended taking off and putting on the gas-cap - turning it tightly to make sure it was shut. He mentioned then that if that was the issue then the light will turn off after a while or a few days of use. So far this hasn't happenned (3 days).

The dealer told me that the car is loaded with sensors and any could trip the light. As with the maint. manual, he mentioned that the issue then would be related to the fuel injection sys or the emissions control sys. He said this doesn't become a problem unless you sense engine knock or if the car doesn't run smoothly.

- Does anyone have any follow-up info. on their experiences? I'm thinking of bringing the car in for the trouble codes to be read.

thanks,
AJD

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index