Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

oceanhut
02-10-2004, 11:48 AM
Slightly confusing? This is my first....message board experience and I find it dificult to navigate the responses. Im used to using a BB set up like cadillacforums.com or Caddyedge. This place, however, seems to have little organization. Is there anyway to clean it up?

nupeskee
02-10-2004, 12:23 PM
previous posts. I guess its just personal preference. Since our community is so small I wish we could get the guys from caddyedge and cadillacforums to come over here, or we all post in one place. Wishfull thinking I guess.

alan
02-10-2004, 04:14 PM
...this forum style actually makes more sense than the other ones you mentioned.

The problem with the other ones you mentioned is that they are less sophisticated. The software they use shows replies to a top-level post in a thread in a strictly linear date order. If you read a thread on those boards with 10 posts in it, and reply to the 5th post down in the thread, your reply shows up all the way at the end of the thread. It isn't apparent at all that your reply was in response to the 5th post down.

This board shows you exactly which post your reply was made to.

One thing you may want to do is visit the <a href="http://forums1.roadfly.org/preferences/setpref.php">preferences</a> page for this board and set the thread sorting to 'most recent reply first'. That way, whichever thread was last replied-to will appear at the top of the board, so you can catch up easily.

One other thing to notice is how many posts are in the archives across the boards on this site. Do you notice how fast search results are and how quickly the site responds? The software used by those other boards can't handle that amount of data in their archives. Once they grow to any reasonable size at all, they'll start to bog way down. We have millions of posts and are cranking along without any problems due to superior software design.

Oh, and we also promise not to burden you or waste bandwidth with useless blinking/bouncing/squirming smiley faces. :-)

Try out the new 'thread subscription' feature here. If you spot a thread you like, just click on the link at the top of it, and you will automatically be notified via email whenever a reply to that thread is made.

--Alan

alan
02-10-2004, 04:17 PM
...fancy threading. Go into the board preferences and switch the default view to 'Fancy Threaded'. It will make the main page of the board more readable for you.

--Alan

oceanhut
02-10-2004, 05:36 PM
Good points. Just takes some getting used to. I'll fool around with the preferences.
Thanks.

Rafael
02-10-2004, 09:22 PM
Finally I tested one today. Mine should arrive soon, but I'm not sure if I will get it, since I feel I will always be comparing it to my previous M5, and even the V feels more musle than the M5, what about the handling? can this caddy be up to the germans. M3 is another option I'm looking into. By the way for sport guys, never buy a 745, what a mistake a commited.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index