Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Nick
02-19-2004, 05:48 AM
So far I've had every wheel and tire shop in town trying to find a wheel that will fit the CTS-V's 6 lug bolt pattern. No Luck. It's a smaller bolt pattern than any truck or SUV. I don't quite know what they were thinking with putting 6 lugs on a car. You can't say it's because of the power, because a corvette Z06 or a viper has as much or more power and have only 5 lug wheels.

If anyone finds something, please do post it.

oceanhut
02-19-2004, 10:12 AM
Look into HRE Wheels and Iforged. They can custom make whatever you want.
Personally, I love the idea of having 6 lugs. Its very different.

Nick
02-19-2004, 03:18 PM
Yes it is cool, just very difficult to find the 6 x 115mm bolt pattern. Your choices are very limited and custom made wheels are much more expensive, but I guess if you want to play, you have to pay!

JohnG
02-20-2004, 12:52 AM
otherwise they wouldn't have spend the $ to do it. It's not just power, its load handling ablity. Same power as a Z06 Corvette, but the CTS weighs a good bit more. So there would be more load on the wheels/lugs/wheel bearings etc... and perhaps a need for a heavier duty 6 lug hub assembly.

Yes you compromise the ablity to put aftermakret wheels on it. But I don't think that was a design paramater they were targeting.

In fact - maybe judging by the Escalades and Devilles that roll out of some Cadillac dealers, the CTS-V team was afraid that the dealers would be tempted to install inferior aftermarket wheels that aren't up to the load carrying specs and balance tolerances of the OEM wheels. Thus, 6 lugs. So none of those cheap "blang blang" wheels fit ;-)

Now if they can just figure out a way to design the roof so it's impossible for a dealership to install a landau roof :-)

Ben
02-21-2004, 01:38 PM
If you happen to get custom (or find replacement) wheels and would be willing to part with your stock set - I may be interested. Contact me by clicking on the username at the top of this post, if you might want to part with them.

-Ben

Jay
02-21-2004, 04:29 PM
The -V Race car uses 5 lug wheels !?!?!

Mike
02-21-2004, 05:10 PM

Mike
02-21-2004, 05:10 PM

GNSCOTT
02-21-2004, 06:37 PM
I think the V race car weighs alot less than a stock V.

beers
02-21-2004, 08:06 PM
Isn't the CTS-V the same lug pattern as the SRX?

Nick
02-22-2004, 02:07 AM
Strange, the Road and Track photos of the CTS-V race car show completely different wheels and are only 5 lug wheels. Maybe the photo you supplied is just a show car. The Road and Track one shows the car actually on the race track.

beers
02-22-2004, 01:37 PM
I wonder if these would fit...

Jay
02-23-2004, 12:05 AM
That is the one I saw (5 lug).... and the same one that had been on the track for some time.
If it was a weight thing then 1/2 ton Suburbans would not use 5 lugs.

For some reason manufacturers love doing something different!
They have lug patterns for the Camaro/Bird Corvette etc... but decided to go 6 lug. With Lincoln-LS and Jaguar-S it was non-standard wheel offset?!?.... So it's always something to make it a bit harder to customize.
But maybe Cadillac plans for further 6 lug usage in all their V machines.
STS,CTS,XLR etc... Who knows?

GNSCOTT
02-23-2004, 12:57 PM
What is the stud size on the Suburban as compared to the V. The V may only be a 12mm stud while the Suburban may be 1/2" stud, but i'm more prone to think that it would be wheel stability while cornering hard in a performance car, the same reason why the Suburban doesn't use 14" brembo brakes. I find it hard to beleive that GM would add an extra lug for the hell of it, but who knows.

Jay
02-23-2004, 11:22 PM
OZ Racing wheel on the V Racer

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=9&article_id=1140&page_number=1

Nick
02-25-2004, 07:47 PM
I did check and the SRX does have the same bolt pattern and offset as the CTS-V, so hopefully that means there will be options available as it is more likely that they will make wheels for the SRX than the limited production CTS-V.

GNSCOTT
02-26-2004, 12:07 PM
The CTSV is not limited production. It is limited for the first couple months because there is only a couple of months to squeeze 04's in. I am hearing that they will build as many 05's as there are orders.

PBR
02-27-2004, 11:42 PM
Vipers are all 6 lug wheels.(I have two) They started out as Durango hubs and were picked from the parts bin.
If ya'll want to trade up- I'd like to buy and chrome a set of stock CTS-V wheels, so keep me in mind if ya trade up!

JEM
03-01-2004, 03:36 PM
It's really a non-issue because I'd bet money that no off-the-shelf 'Vette or Camaro or whatever wheel is going to have the right offset anyway.

I'm sure you'll see some CTS-V-specific aftermarket wheels show up in the not-too-distant future; IIRC the car shares its bolt pattern (and brake rotors) with the SRX but if you're concerned with getting wider tires under the car you're probably going to have to pay closer attention to offset than some fool who just wants to stick chrome 20s on his SRX.

Call Forgeline (http://www.forgeline.com) or Kinesis (http://www.kinesismotorsport.com) or any other outfit that does a fair business in Viper wheels, they should be able to do a set of centers with the right bolt pattern and hub centerbore and assemble the rims to get the right offset.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index