Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

cohenfive
02-19-2004, 12:39 PM
curious whether the dealers will let you take one out. i'd like to compare it against my m5. i'm a little leery of buying a first year car but it might make for a fun comparison.

oceanhut
02-19-2004, 11:31 PM
My dealer in NJ wont be test driving them till end of March

JohnG
02-20-2004, 12:54 AM
Then they should be willing to let one out for a test drive. As long as it's not pre sold, you shouldn't have much problem getting them to let you go in it. Especially if you pull up in the M5.

UberCubs
02-20-2004, 01:25 PM
I took two for a drive last weekend.
Unfortunatley, they were not "real" testdrives since I had those pesky salemen in the car with me the whole time.

msheri01
02-20-2004, 08:29 PM
I think early on the biggest hurdle is that the first cars have been pre-sold. We do not allow sold order cars to be driven by anyone but the technician doing the delivery inspection, and the purchaser. With this type of vehicle, customers want to be the first and only driver of their vehicle. I think most dealers are doing the same thing. With limited availabilty, it will take some time for dealers to get one for display and test drive. We have not had a customer refuse the car yet, in fact he brought it back and wanted to share the driving experience with several employees. I would check around to see if a dealer near you has lot stock, unless you know someone who already has one.

Rich H
02-21-2004, 01:05 AM
I drove a CTS V on Tues - the only one to arrive "unsold" in the Denver area so far. The sales lady was fantastic - she let me drive it immediately after it was unloaded from the truck - the protective plastic was still on the steering wheel and seats. I ordered mine 2 days later from the same dealer - at GMS discount. It compares very well to the M5 I drove last year. However, there is no gas guzzler tax to worry about at 18/25 mpg per EPA estimates.

JohnG
02-21-2004, 07:37 PM
Just got back from driving one, and WOW.

It feels like a 540/6, just with a LOT more power, and NOW.

The shifter, which has been described as rubbery and notchy, felt great in my opinion. There is some damping on it which some may describe as "rubbery" but i would describe it as "not-notchy" It has a very positive engagement but doesn't transmit any vibration into the cabin.

The handling was very light on it's feet. Little to no body roll, but very controlled and comfortable over broken pavement. What I would call a "bmw like" ride handling setup, where neither ride nor handling seems compromised.

And the power. Wow. I'm coming from almost the same engine (LS1 - "only" 345 horsepower) in a slightly lighter car (Camaro) with the almost the same transmission (6 speed, but the CTS-V has different ratios from the Z06). But the 50 extra horesepower and Z06 gearing make the CTS-V feel quicker. Did a 30-65punch in 3rd gear, and it moves. Sounds like ripping silk, they've got the engine note well tuned.

No problems with axle hop in my driving, but again I only punched it from a roll, didn't do any drag race starts on a car that someone else is ultimately going to buy (the one I drove had no sunroof, which I think is essential).

Short version: WOW!

GNSCOTT
02-22-2004, 10:45 AM
You sure the ratios are different in the tranny? Last I heard they were to be the exact same.

JohnG
02-22-2004, 11:58 AM
Sorry if I wasn't clear - All GM cars with 6 speed manuals use the same T56 tranny. The CTS-V and the Z06 Corvette share the same gear ratios.

The regular Corvette, and the recently departed Camaro & Firebird use different gear ratios from the rest (slightly taller and slightly larger spread).

Rich H
02-22-2004, 04:09 PM
I agree with your comparison to BMW - although I compared it most directly to an M5. The 6 speed shifter felt similar in both cars although a little smoother in the M5. Personally I prefer a sure engagement even though it might slow down the shift by a microsecond.

I definitely prefer the 6 speed manual over the SMG transmission being offered on the M3. I could never really adjust to the steering wheel toggle shifters and my left foot was always trying to find a non-existant clutch pedal. Part of the the fun of a manual is the skill of coordinating the shifter and clutch - and slipping the clutch to minimize wheelspin during a launch.

The CTS V offers everything I could find in a BMW (discounting the SMG) for less money - and that's why I ordered one.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index