Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

m123
02-27-2004, 05:31 PM
m3, s4, c32, etc etc Just interested. Design? Size? Handling? etc etc.

JohnG
02-27-2004, 06:44 PM
I haven't bought one, so I'm not really answering your question. But I like the CTS-V better than the S4 because it's bigger and has more power for the same price. I prefer RWD to AWD.

And I have always wanted to buy a Cadillac that didn't have to make any excuses for itself in the harsh competitive light cast by the European and Japanese makes. While the STS, ETC, and DTS were and are nice cars, they still had FWD, no manual tranny available, and they were between .5 and 1 second slower to 60 than the competition. The CTS-V is the first Cadillac of my era that needs no excuses.

Nupeskee
02-27-2004, 06:55 PM
I have not had much luck with Audi (to many trips to the shop with my S4 and my wife's A4) and although the M3 was an outstanding performer BMW is a "me to" car in my opinion. So I am going to give the general a try. I am looking forward to it. Get it next week!

Jack Marin
02-27-2004, 07:25 PM
Budget and the desire to buy American. Cadillac seems to be making an effort to compete and I think it is worth a try.

GNSCOTT
02-27-2004, 08:19 PM
The number 1 reason is the LS6. number 2 is its a 4 door with alot of roominess, number 3 was price. A similarly equipped M3 is like $4k more. and #4 was because it is a very exciting GM product. If the M5 was the same price I would still take the V for its styling. To me, all BMW's look the same. (obviously not talking Z class) Its a nice look, just a little boring for sports car. The V just looks more exciting to me.

m123
02-27-2004, 11:07 PM
I don't love or hate the cts styling. Def unique I give cadillac credit. Bmw more subtle for sure which isn't nec better. Wish I loved the look but most sedans don't thrill me. Seems like a great car for the money.

Tough call though. I'm thinking of waiting for mercedes c55.

RickKap
02-27-2004, 11:24 PM
more room inside than the M3, the S4, and the C32 AMG (which will be replaced by a C55 AMG).

phantomgib
02-27-2004, 11:56 PM
I've put down a deposit ($1000) on a CTS-V, but still not firmly convinced I want to trade in my current vehicle (2001 Jag XJR) for it. There are a number of reasons I am interested in the Caddy. First, would be performance and handling. Both would certainly be better than the Jag, and essentially on par with the M3 and S4. The Jag is a great looking, smooth, long distance cruiser, but relatively sedate, particularly with regard to handling, fundamentally because it is a MUCH bigger car. Second, after one year with a 2002 M3, I traded it for the Jag because I found I needed the practicality of a 4 door sedan a lot more than I thought I did. Third, all things being equal, I would prefer to own a US made car. Fourth, I think the CTS-V is a good value for the money if there are no significant build quality and reliability problems (which is the reason I'm keeping an eye on this board to see what the experiences are of the folks getting their cars now). Last, I would prefer an auto to the 6-speed just because of commuting in city driving. I'll wait to see if it will be an option in 2005 before I order the car.

Ennui
02-28-2004, 02:33 AM

Rich H
02-29-2004, 05:20 PM
Make no mistake about it. GM was shooting to beat the M5 for all around street and track performance. The fact that they developed the CTS V in Germany and tested it on the same track as the M cars and were able to beat their lap times means it was designed for this purpose. I think the Car & Driver comparison against the M3 and M5 on the Putnam Park road circuit is about as good a comparison as you'll see for the design purpose of the CTS V. It is not a dragster and I don't think less of it because it could not meet the M3 or M5 0 to 60 acceleration times due to wheel hop.

The latest CTS V comparison to the Jag S-Type 5 in Motor Trend agrees with Cadillac aiming at the M5 as their target. Although I have driven supercharged/intercooled rear wheel drive cars, and in general liked them, I have no desire to own this Jag since it doesn't have a manual tranny and, frankly, seems too tame for my tastes. By the same token there are probably others who wouldn't consider the CTS V because it has too many sharp edges and doesn't offer an automatic. However, there is an excitement to driving the V that can't be explained by comparison facts and figures. One test drive of the V and I was hooked.

--MDork--
03-08-2004, 01:11 PM
power and size of the V vs two door m3 and cramped s4. styling is an diff story but very subjective.

longjc
03-23-2004, 04:17 PM

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index