Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

TEAShea
02-29-2004, 12:24 AM
Two days ago I was at my BMW dealership to pick up a small part for my new 545i. The dealership also sells Cadillac. While waiting, I took a look at a CTS (non V)that was in the Cadillac showroom. I had read about the CTS and the V but had never actually sat in one. I was impressed with the quality and took a test drive of a CTS for fun. The salesman told me that they had a V that was scheduled for production next week (the first one they will receive). I became interested and went home to do some more research. Anyway, to cut to the chase, I bought it. It should be here in 3 or 4 weeks. I felt comfortable buying one without actually test driving the V based on the many reviews and the information from the net.

I was impressed with the quality of the CTS. The panel gaps were very straight. The interior is a question. I particularly did not like the dime store chrome plastic inside door pulls and latches. However, the V will remedy this and add a few other small but significant improvements in the interior.

Of course, the most important thing is the performance - very compelling. The reviews have been very good. Too bad that the the C&D test V had some defects but I am not too concerned about that. That particular car was one of the first 50 off the production line. I think they have most of the kinks out by now.

Over the last 15 years I have purhased 22 vehicles, all foreign - BMW, Toytoa, Infinity, Lexus, Honda, Nissas, Volvo. I had looked at many American cars but never found one that measured up. The V does measure up and is a credit to GM. Finally, a world class sports sedan from a US manufacturer. Most excellent feeling to be able to buy one.

I suppose my main concern was purchasing a car with an (obsolete) OHV type engine. I have consistantly thought that OHV engines were from a bygone era - an anacrnomism. However, the test reports spoke very hightly of the engine. I was particularly interested to learn that theh V engine only weights 62 pounds more than the V6 OHC engine. So, I tried to open my mind and accept the possibiltiy of an OHV engine being acceptable. I guess that they are not obsolete after all.

When the CTS's first came out I really disliked the styling but it has grown on me. Now, I actually like the styling very much. I note that the styling of my 545i has also been very controversial. So now I will have two cars that are both styling lightning rods.

The 14" brakes are impressive to consider. They are even larger than the 13.5" brakes on my 545i. The steering has received uniformly high praise from the auto press and the shifter has been considered to be acceptable.

One thing that was a concern to me is the stupid skip shift from 1st to 4th at low speed and throttle. I thought that this would be a mess. However, the internet has provided the solution. Several companies sell $30 adaptors that plug into the solinoid on the transmision to eliminate the skip shift. Wonderful ..... One big issue resolved.

All in all I am really looking forward to receiving the car. It is also nice that Roadfly started this forum.

Tom Shea

JEM
02-29-2004, 12:30 AM
Four-valve DOHC dates to 1914, which makes it at least as old as pushrod-and-rocker OHV.

The CTS-V's LS6 is quite a bit more compact than the engine in your 545i, weighs about the same. It's a masterwork of engineering economy.

It manages the power and torque of the S62 in my M5, and most of the usable rev range, for about 1/4 of the manufacturing cost, which is part of why Cadillac can put brakes on the CTS-V that'd cost me $5K to retrofit to the M5 and still sell the car for $20K less than the M5 went out the door for.

GNSCOTT
02-29-2004, 10:36 AM
Welcome aboard Tom. Sounds like our cars will be going down the line together. I don't think the OHV engine is on its way out especially since it leads the world with HP/ emissions/ fuel milage combination. and what more would you want in a motor?

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index