Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index


03-02-2004, 07:20 PM
O.K. I fell in Love today - Test drove the first (If I'm to believe my salesperson) CTS-V to hit our local automall (in Roseville, Ca).

I currently own a 2001 BMW 540-6speed. My first impressions of the CTS-V are nothing short of AWSOME!. Beautiful engine noises (didn't bother to even test the radio). Amazing torque, HP - my BMW felt weak when I got back into it. And the suspension on the V is very well set up. I'm not sure what the complaint is on the shifter - I didn't have any problems shifting and it felt every bit as tight as my BMW. The plastic dash and door sills are about the only first impression knock I would give the car but the outside body more than makes up for any interior issues. What a beautiful car - the same feeling that I had the first time I saw a sport E39 (old 5 series) and DO NOT feel for BMW's new design direction.

So now I have two questions:

1. I was ALARMED when the salesperson took the car close to redline (at least 6K+) when he was showing off the car. I thought to myself "I won't be buying this car". What is the real break in recommendations for the CTS-V engine?

2. The markup on the car is close to $18,000!!!! The way the saleperson put it: "$69K or the highway". I saw at least one incentive program for GM cars being used to purchase CTS-V's - is this reality?? If not, what markup (if any) did you pay? The God's honest truth is that I would have traded my 540 in today and drove out of the dealership with the car for MSRP.

Any advice, or experiences greatly appreciated.

03-02-2004, 07:32 PM
1. Break in (from memory) is <5k (maybe it was 4.5k) RPM AND <70 mph for 1st 500 miles.

2. I am not at liberty to say what I paid but I can assure you it was < MSRP. Most dealers are asking $10k over.

Seen 2 more on Bay Area Dealer lots - 1 Blk/Blk no roof for $60k (sold). The other Blk/Blk with roof, + PermaPlate (grrr!), + Lojack (WTF do you need Lojack for, when you have Onstar?) for ~$60k (sold).


03-02-2004, 07:48 PM
Are you at liberty to say through what channel you purchased your car? (If it helps, please use my email address - drop the the "nospam"). A $9-10K markup seems more fair - and it is in line with the markups I saw on M5's in this area a couple of years ago.

03-02-2004, 08:02 PM
I called 2 dealers in my area. Both told me they would order one for MSRP. I took the one that gave me the best trade in , in writing. go to and look for one in stock. You will find one quickly in your area at msrp. Some dealers refuse to sell over msrp. WHen you search the first dealer on the list, it will problably say none in stock. There will be a link to search your area or something. Click that, then click sort by distance. I would never pay a penny over msrp for any car.

03-02-2004, 08:43 PM

03-02-2004, 08:57 PM
Got my V (black moon roof) @ sticker and felt good about it. Have 1250 miles and it rocks

03-02-2004, 09:52 PM
After I wrote up the order for mine, I heard the salesman should have gotten over list for it.
I told him if he was asking over list, I would not have bought it.
We initially agreed upon MSRP while I collected my documents for GM Supplier. With this, it is a bit under MSRP.

I echo the feeling that you should NEVER pay over list for a car!

...patiently waiting until mid-April for mine.

03-02-2004, 10:48 PM
I also was entitled to GM Supplier Pricing. The local dealer stated it did not apply to CTS-V (false) and that they were charging $1,000 over MSRP. In my eagerness to buy, I unfortunately gave them a deposit, but later found (here on message board) an out-of-state dealer who agreed to sell me a car at GM Supplier price , so I cancelled my order with local dealer and placed a new one with the cooperative dealer.

Unfortunately, local dealer (name withheld at this point) has not returned my deposit yet, although I contacted Cadillac's Customer Satisfaction office today and they interceded on my behalf, so hopefully my deposit from local dealer will soon be returned.

I actually don't need or want delivery until late May, so I have time to spare.

03-03-2004, 12:35 AM

03-03-2004, 01:50 AM
I've seen several of the V's show up on E-bay and so far, most have either not sold, or have gone out at MSRP. Most also have real pictures indicating the car is available now.

03-03-2004, 09:25 AM
I wish...I'm about to light my next cigarette with my certificate.

03-03-2004, 11:10 AM
Hey, my new one (my second one, to replace the one with the diff. problem) has just come in. I'll be a sport and sell it you you for a mere $10K over my cost (which will be MSRP + local sales tax)......

03-03-2004, 12:57 PM
Where? What dealership... My dealer says that GM is not accepting GMS or Option 1 on these cars and that its GM not them (the dealer)... It sounds like they are trying to pass the blame...

Is this true or am I being fed a line?

Are there any dealers that anyone knows of that are accepting GMS right now? I may cancel my order and go to another dealer....



03-03-2004, 02:19 PM
at least 2 people i have heard got GMS. The GMS pice was something like $45,600

03-03-2004, 02:20 PM
Wow Doug, they got you that car Fast!

03-03-2004, 03:27 PM
to David Grove. They are in Ohio but they will honor GM supplier price. GMS price is what GM employees and their direct family members get.

03-03-2004, 08:07 PM
18K? Wow! Not at our store. Sticker, unless supplier or GMS eligible. And, on GMS and supplier, the cars were ordered, not stock units.

03-03-2004, 11:04 PM
Msheri01 can do MUCH better than $18K over sticker. Drop her a line, I'm sure you won't be sorry.


03-04-2004, 12:42 AM
There are dealers quite happy to sell the car for MSRP.

As, in fact, there were dealers happy to sell the M5 for MSRP back in '99 and '00.

Doug G.
03-04-2004, 09:05 AM hopefully I won't need to give it back quite so fast this time.......

This one was the "original" silver one that was slated for me; I got the first one when the guy on the list ahead of me for silver either got cold feet or had financing problems........

I am sure that a full delivery and quality report will be forthcoming

03-05-2004, 12:15 AM
The cars are eligible for GMS and supplier programs, however it is up to each dealer whether or not they are willing to sell the vehicles under the programs. It is a business decision by the individual dealers.

03-13-2004, 09:20 AM
The only "incentive" on these cars right now would be if you qualified for GMS or supplier pricing. I doubt you will ever see any kind of rebate on these, due to the limited production. It is possible to order from a dealer who will not mark up over sticker and have the car "courtesy delivered" to a dealer local to you. The local dealer charges the dealer a fee for doing this, but it is not anywhere near the 18K markup you are referring to. That may be an option for you. When this is done, GM ships the car to the local dealer, but the invoice and paperwork for titling goes to the selling dealer, so you actually pay the selling dealer for the car and pick it up at the local dealer. This is a more time-consuming process, but if you are talking that kind of money, it may be an option for you to consider. Bear in mind that the car must be ordered specifically for you to to this.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index