Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Doug
03-04-2004, 12:33 PM
I have just rejected CTS-V #2 as having excessive drivetrain backlash, just like the first one. driving at about 5-10 or 10-15mph, pushing in the clutch to shift to second, you can hear what sounds like the universals slapping back and forth as the load is removed from the drivetrain. M5 doesn't do that, nor does any other performance car that I have driven.

Sales manager and service manager drove it, too, and concurred that this was a problem. This is two V's in a row that have had this, but I have driven a third one that did not do it.

They did have to redesign the transmission housing and differential from the z06 to make it fit in the CTS......it seems that they may have missed something. I've never driven a Z06 so I don't know if they do the same thing.

Ben
03-04-2004, 01:19 PM
Mine does a similar sort of thing (~1k miles so far) sometimes, except that there are no "universals" under there per se.

Doug
03-04-2004, 01:33 PM
the backlash is actually coming either from the differential or the transmission. In my previous CTS-V they found that the differential was out of spec. Not sure what the deal is on this one.

If it is designed to slap around like that then I'd like to know why. If it is a mfg./quality issue then I think we all have some concerns. The only time I have ever heard noises like that in other cars is when I have carelessly pushed in the clutch at the same time that the engine/drivetrain is transitioning from acceleration to deceleration, rather than smoothly shifting. In the CTS-V's, it seems unavoidable during low speed 1-2 shifts (but undetectable at heavier throttle shifts).

Daniel
03-04-2004, 02:29 PM
I had a Viper GTS that did the same thing, and have driven many Vipers (all have T56), that seem to have that "clankiness" shifting 1st to 2nd in low speed driving. Some have called it "marbles in a can" and hopefully some Vette guys have experience. Doesn't bother me at all.

Doug
03-04-2004, 03:02 PM
marbles in a can is a pretty good description......

GNSCOTT
03-04-2004, 03:04 PM
Doug, what dealership is this at?

Wienk
03-04-2004, 07:06 PM
I have not yet taken delivery of my CTS-V, but I thought they had the same annoying 1-to-4 skip shift that has been used in the Corvette, and automatically shifts the transmission into 4th gear instead of 2nd if speed is less than 20 mph when you attempt to shift.

Matter of fact, I am planning to install a "skip shift eliminator" in my CTS-V when I take delivery. See earlier messages on this board.

In any case, I would think that such an undesirable shift sequence, and perhaps the mechanism that actuates it, might also cause what you folks are describing here.

TNitro
03-04-2004, 09:45 PM
The ol' marbles in a can syndrome? I thought the dual-mass fly wheel on the CTS-V was supposed to eliminate that. If that's what we're talking about here it's an annoyance only and absolutely not a reliability issue.

My C5 does it and so does my Firebird Formula as well as the Camaro Z28 I had prior to the Firebird.

The T56 can handle a tremendous amount of HP, so I've just chalked up that small annoiance as a cost of having a stout transmission.

nupeskee
03-04-2004, 11:53 PM
shifting.

Doug G.
03-06-2004, 03:44 PM
I just came back from driving a brand new Z06 to compare shifting feel. Maybe some very minor clunking here or there, but nothing out of the ordinary and NOTHING like like the loud click or even a small "thud" that the two V's have had when the clutch is depressed for a low speed 1-2 shift. And I noticed that the Z06 shifter feels much more precise than the V shifter....

and while I was at it I drove an Audi S4 with a six speed that was quiet and smooth as silk (but generally MUCH more tame than a V....)

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index