Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

argoldst
03-05-2004, 11:11 AM
I was ready to buy a cts but really have been turned off by all the complaints and problems I have been reading about.

I have also read (but don't know if it is true) that the 2005 cts v will have 500hp. Can anyone actually confirm this and state a source?

Also, is there any confirmation that any of the problems will be addressed/corrected in the 2005 model?

Thanks for your help.

Nupeskee
03-05-2004, 12:12 PM
you only hear the bad stuff. If you like the car get it. It will have a warranty and if you do have problems they will be taken care of. Don't let others drive you decision.

MBkiller
03-05-2004, 04:49 PM
If you really want to be scared, visit the E65 Board (BMW 745)! Didn't scare me off, and I'm thoroughly enjoying a wonderful car that hasn't given me any problems ('03 745iS). Remember that the view you get on a message board is skewed. People are much more likely to end up here if they have a problem than if everything is peachy.

Generally, I try to avoid the 1st model year of a production run to allow time for the 'kinks' to get worked out. However, the CTS-V is a variation of the CTS, and the CTS has been pretty reliable since its introduction a few years ago.

Just resist dropping the clutch at 3000 RPM and all will be good!

CTSVOWNER
03-05-2004, 09:20 PM
I cant resist that 3K clutch drop, this car wants to just jump out of its paint. I LOVE IT

cabrio
03-08-2004, 08:20 PM

MDork
03-10-2004, 04:44 PM
surrounding the replacement motor for the z06. im guessing that people assume since the current V has the ls6 from the z06, that they will cease production of that motor soon and replace it with the motor fitted in the z06 replacement (rumored 500hp). this is just my guess.
el dorko

Dorkfest v2.004 info: <a href="http://mdork.com">http://mdork.com</a>

For Sale: TiSil 99 M3 Vert. 17K Miles. Perfect.
AIM: dork racing

GNSCOTT
03-10-2004, 05:07 PM
They would also have to assume that the motor will fit in the V, or that Caddy might want to save that motor for a different V series Caddy, or that the V can safely handle 500hp weighing 4000lbs, etc. My best guess would be maybe a 425hp version of the LS2 or just the 400hp Vette version of it.

MDork
03-10-2004, 05:12 PM
but since im only guessing the source of the rumor...who knows?

if they could safely get 500hp out of the ls6 (NA), i would think it would have been done for the z06 already
el dorko

Dorkfest v2.004 info: <a href="http://mdork.com">http://mdork.com</a>

For Sale: TiSil 99 M3 Vert. 17K Miles. Perfect.
AIM: dork racing

GNSCOTT
03-10-2004, 05:45 PM
Its not safely, because you can get alot more than 500 HP out of an LS6 safely by using forged internals, its getting the same motor to get decent gas milage and more importantly getting it to be able to pass emissions for 5 years.

Shaun
03-10-2004, 08:24 PM
Imagine if you think wheel hop is bad now, what about a 500hp engine?

Daniel
03-11-2004, 12:28 PM
The only change they could make in the near future would be to use the new LS2 (same performance as LS6), which means nothing to us. 2006 could see a change, as the new Z06 should be arriving. That would have an LS7 (or whatever they call it) that could be a pumped up LS2, or in my mind more displacement. In any case, the CTS-V would require body changes to support more rubber (from a manufacturer's perspective, not yours).

Secondly, there really aren't any problems with the current car. The wheels have a tendency to hop on takeoffs, but the warmer weather has eased that a bit (Porsches have a wonderful hop as well). Crank up the temps in the rears to induce more spin or go with different tires. You could also stiffen up the rear suspension, although this will be a handling compromise as the car won't squat so well to put down the power.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index