Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : Engine and cylinder head numbers

J Jones
03-09-2004, 10:54 PM
I need to find the numbers on my Jaguar XKE. Where do I find those and are they suppose to match the engine number on the data plate? I hope this doesn't sound too dumb, but a possible buyer is wanting the information and my husband is out of town. Hope someone can help.

Thanks

zonda
07-08-2004, 05:46 AM
Hi,
I'd like to know if someone knows where to check an engine number on my e-type series 1 : is #R5572 and XKE engine, or period-compatible S-Type ?
Many thanks

Mark
07-16-2004, 06:34 PM
The engine serial number is stamped into the engine in two places on an E-Type's engine that one can see. The first one is very easy to see. It is found on the cylinder head at the front of the top of the engine between the camshaft covers. The second spot to find on an early Jag engine is very difficult to see if you know where to look. The second serial number, which should match the head and plate numbers, is found stamped into the cast iron block on a flat spot above the oil filter bolt on aluminum piece. Many people have no idea where this is; and for someone who does know it is there, it is VERY hard to see. One really needs to rub it clean, and use a powerful flashlight or some other bright light to see it.

Hope this helps, I see that it is a long time since you asked.

Jeff Li
09-07-2004, 09:22 PM
Dear Sir:

We are a professional supplier for engine parts like cylinder head, crankshaft, camshaft, connection rod, etc for wide range of Japanese engines and European engines. Please visit http://my.ecplaza.net/litrading for more information. We are offering 2L/3L/5L cylinder head at USD185.00 and 4JG2 cylinder head at USD150.00. We sincerely hope to establish business relation with your company in near future.

Awaiting your early reply.

Best regards, Jeff Li

Jeff Li
09-07-2004, 09:23 PM
Dear Sir:

We are a professional supplier for engine parts like cylinder head, crankshaft, camshaft, connection rod, etc for wide range of Japanese engines and European engines. Please visit http://my.ecplaza.net/litrading for more information. We are offering 2L/3L/5L cylinder head at USD185.00 and 4JG2 cylinder head at USD150.00. We sincerely hope to establish business relation with your company in near future.

Awaiting your early reply.

Best regards, Jeff Li

1e11526
09-11-2004, 10:32 PM
As you probably already know, the 3.8L inline six cylinder with three S.U. HD8 carbs with the gold head and 9:1 compression ratio was offered both on the later XK-150 "S" models and the 1961-1964 E-Types. I did look in a Jaguar book that I own (The Jaguar E-Type by Paul Skilleter) and it states in the appendices that the engine number prefixes for the 3.8L engines had an R prefix from 1961 to about spring of 1963. From the spring of 1963 to 1964 these engines had the RA prefix. Looking at your engine serial number again (R5572) I see entries for different engine revisions. June 1962 had a revision after engine number R5400 for a modified sump-filter basket in the engine; and in September 1962 after engine number R6724, there were longer inlet valve guides installed in the engines; so it most certainly appears, from the book that I have referenced, that you have an E-Type engine that was assembled in 1962. This does not mean that it went into a car of the same year. If this is original to this E-Type, your car should be either a 1962 or 1963 model year E-Type.

I hope that this information helps.

Mike Powers
10-25-2004, 05:45 PM
With regards to your engine R5572, I can tell you what happened to R5570. That engine was definately placed in an E Type. What is interesting is that the factory in Coventry was producing the R.H.Drive models off the line at the time. They did not produce the L. H. Drive and R. H. Drive on the same line to keep things moving rather quickly.

This took place in May of 62. Engines were delivered to the line on pallets if you will in groups of lets say 20 or so for the sake of sticking my neck out here. So you will find that a car with a lower serial # will have a higher engine # in many cases. The same goes for the guy that reached into a bucket with the body tags that were riveted to the car with pop rivets. Then a guy at the end of the line recorded what actually was placed where as it went out the door.

R5570-9 was placed in 860560 which is a 3.8 RHD FHC. That car was sold at an auction in Cheshire, England in 98. Unless you are in England, Scotland or Australia. I am wondering how you obtained the engine. It would seem that it was placed in a 3.8 RHD FHC. I do not have any R55XX in the LHD Series.

You can verify this information for yourself at www.jaguarlinks.com as the E Type Owners List is posted there. It is in the Excel format and it can be sorted to find folks near you as well.

If you want to add your car just E-Mail me at [email protected] and you are on it. That simple. Please include your gearbox and body #'s also and it you have the JDHT Certificate, I really want to know the build date.

Cheers, Mike Powers

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index