Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : 2004 E55 TPM Experience

E55KNOX
03-11-2004, 04:48 PM
2004-03-09 Left rear tire punctured by some piece of metal skidding across the highway. Tried Mercedes Benz tire sealant kit. Hole too big, air would not hold. AAA flatbeds car to dealer.

Dealer states that tire pressure sensor has to be replaced because MERCEDES' OWN TIRE SEALER DESTROYS SENSOR!, PN 000-822-34-06, cost $ 341.96! HOW IS THAT FOR GERMAN ENGINEERING!

Dealer charged $ 295 for one Continental Sport Contact 2, 265/35R18, tire - currently listed for $ 174 at The Tire Rack. But he got the tire the same day, so I did not complain.

Shortly after leaving the dealership 2 malfunctions appear. Check Tire Pressure and Activate TPM. Several attempts to activate TPM according to owners' manual fail. Activation is accepted for a short while, then autoresets to malfunction. Will let tires cool down, check pressure manually, try to reset and if this does not work we are off to the dealer again.

DOES ANYBODY AT MB NORTH AMERICA READ THIS? IF SO PLEASE EXPLAIN WHY YOUR COMPANY SUPPLIES A SEALER KIT THAT RESULTS IN $ 350 DAMAGES PLUS LABOR COST?? I kept the damaged part as reference.

Other than that I absolutely love my E55. Having more recently owned a 2001 S55, 2001 SLK 320, a 2002 BMW 745i and a 2003 CLK55 the E55 seems to be the best sedan ever. The ideal combo of performance, design, functionality, room.

Z-Achterbahn
03-21-2004, 05:54 PM
The service manager of my dealership called to let me know that they are crediting my account for the TPM sensor. This is good news and very much appreciated. I just hope the dealer is not stuck with this expense. It is not his fault that the car comes with a sealer kit that damages the sensor. I wonder when Daimler will come up with a solution.

For right now the dealer has ordered a replacement sealer kit for me. Will I use it? Hard to say. It does not feel right to apply something that causes additional damage to a flat tire. On the other hand, what do you do when you are stuck somewhere with no help close by and no spare in your trunk?

Any ideas?

tfire
03-25-2004, 09:20 AM
My salesman didn't even know my E55 didn't have a spare tire! I asked him before it arrived and he assured me it did. ( I had read from the MBworld forum that the W211 E55's didn't have spares)

There's no easy fix since the area where the spare usually goes is too small.

I'm glad to hear they didn't stick you with that bill.

tendons
03-27-2004, 12:42 AM
there is a space saver tire that comes with the sl55 I think, which will work in the e55. There was apost recently , if not here, then mborg. with pictures that involved taking out the entire plastic form, moving the batteries from the area behind the seat and moving them to the side and then the space saver tire will fit. or you could just throw the tire in the back.

FreshMeat
03-30-2004, 12:39 AM
as far as the tire monitor/selant incident, that is an oversight on MB's part. I'm glad my '05 is coming with a spare! ;)

tendons
03-30-2004, 07:42 PM
ho ho ho; I think amg and mercedes have simply allowed anyone to say anyhing they want about the space saver. In december of 03 montvale tech support said that all e55 would henceforth have spacesaver. Two months later, after my dealer said he hasn't seen a spare i called again and was told that they, mbnorthamerica, had no information regarding when the spares will be put in. Today, the customer support like a rotten jock strap, said that amg doesn't put spares in any of it's cars and that if I was interested ina spare tire I should look at other cars. She did say that they pay for towing.
The o5's supposedly will have both an increase price tag and will also not offer the 48 month free service.
Is this a great organization or what? This is my sixth mercedes, by the way, in 14 years.

PBGlas
03-31-2004, 11:13 AM
My NetStar sheet lists a spare tire

MCJ
03-31-2004, 11:34 AM
Your's is an '04 order right?

PBGlas
03-31-2004, 03:09 PM
Right. June build.

PBGlas
04-01-2004, 02:39 PM
I am glad they partially took care of you.

Those cans of tire fixers are very convenient. I have used htem several times. But I don't have TPMS.

I am getitng TPMS. Is there a way to use those cans still. For example, can one take off hte TPMS valves and temporarilly replace them with something?

ThemisN
04-02-2004, 11:31 PM
a 2004 and june build? So since i have an 05 on order when are those gonna start? I guess now its a tossup between having the maintenance or not getting more killed on depreciation between waiting a month and getting an 05 vs an 04.

MCJ
04-07-2004, 11:30 AM

doggy G
01-24-2005, 03:37 PM

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index