Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

clintonm9
03-12-2004, 03:14 PM
Does anyone have GM V department mailing address or phone number? I think we should all right letters about the wheel hop. If we do they should come out with a recall to fix it. Maybe new tires, P275. With my 03 CTS I got brand new 17 in Tires recall for free.

timberline
03-12-2004, 03:50 PM
I agree. I live in Canada and they've just started allocating the V production to our market last week. I've had an order in for over four months.
I thought perhaps they'd fix the axle hop on the fly but it seems from what I've read here that I'll have the same crash & trash as everyone before me. When I called 1-800-GMDRIVE and spoke to the Cadillac customer advisor, she said the engineers told her the axle hop reported by Car & Driver and Motor Trend was only on pre-production models and it had been fixed. I asked for written confirmation almost two weeks ago and as of today she's still trying to get it! Something tells me she won't.
I never heard of a car manufacturer bragging about such hugely aggressive acceleration performance figures and then being so far off in reality. Usually they post slower results and let you beat them. I call that misleading advertising, especially when we're talking about a car that GM/Caddy depends on to set its performance image right.
You just know that they'll eventually fix it 'cause they have to but leave us early buyers sucking wind with no retrofit.
I'm in for the letter campaign.

Daniel
03-12-2004, 05:28 PM
You can contact the GM Performance Division... call GM for contact information.

They will tell you that feathering the clutch while bringing on the throttle is the trick.... I assume this will take more than a little practice (and leave some bad smells in the process). They will also tell you that the rear was set up to squat for traction, and that the tires are very sticky. They should have been a bit more conservative with the numbers, 4.9s wouldn't have provided fewer buyers.

Although 275 series tires in the rear may look like a good fit, a few issues:

1. the car will plow more in corners
2. there may not actually be space, in particular when fully loaded with people/luggage
3. the hop may not be fixed, as the contact patch is the same size, although of a different shape

Plenty of cars are tricky to launch, my Porsche 993 was a pain in the a**, but I think a bit much is being made of it. Heck the brakes on my Viper GTS were far more of a concern than wheel hop, and no one started a list over that.

GNSCOTT
03-12-2004, 06:08 PM
I'll bet its the tires. Those #'s are in line with a ZO6 that would weigh that much.

Akula
03-13-2004, 03:10 AM
The wheel hop is fixed with new tires. You can do 4.6 or lower easy with new Pirelli P-zero tires instead of the run flats that are on the cars now.

Ennui
03-14-2004, 12:37 AM

BenH
03-14-2004, 09:39 AM
I hope so! I am ready to order the 05, but have the following three concerns: (1) wheel hop, (2) U joint - CV joint issue, (3) oil temp issue. On (3), does the V have an oil cooler (likely the internal type in the rad similar to an auto trans internal cooler)? If not it likely should. My 96 Impala has one as well as an internal and external trans oil cooler (not needed with the manual V).

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index