Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

BenH
03-15-2004, 10:35 PM
I have read the posts regarding the oil temp and was wondering whether the V has an oil cooler (likely an internal one in the radiator)?

Daniel
03-16-2004, 10:41 AM
Regardless of oil cooler, it is a calibration issue causing the higher than expected oil temp. Re-flash of software should be available in the not too distant future.

btw: there is some kind of cooler in front of the radiator... someone should know if it is oil or otherwise.

Nupeskee
03-16-2004, 05:57 PM
there is not a problem with the car overheating. It may be a calibration issue. If you have this problem take it to the dealer and they will fix it. If you continue to look for problems you will find them.

Cole
03-16-2004, 06:04 PM
The cooler in the front of the radiator is for the power steering. The engine does not have an oil cooler.

GNSCOTT
03-16-2004, 07:57 PM
If you look next to the oil filter, There is a provision to add an oil cooler. I don't think the car needs it, it has been said countless times by reputable people that there is a re flash of the software coming soon. If your coolant temps are in line, than your oil temps should be in line.

Daniel
03-17-2004, 09:40 AM
Nupeskee, unfortunately a software reflash is not available to dealers as of yet... I'm not convinced concern over high oil temps is a nitpick, as many (including yourself) don't appear to understand the issue. To help you: yes, it is a calibration issue. no, it is not the same issue as reported in C&D. yes, there will be a software fix. no, it is not available yet. Straight from GMPD.

GNSCOTT
03-17-2004, 09:49 AM
I would consider it a nitpick. If there was any danger, GM would not let you drive the car and they would not still be making them.

Daniel
03-17-2004, 10:35 AM
The nitpick became a cause of concern for me... during hard runs the warning lights and chimes would come on at >300f.

GNSCOTT
03-17-2004, 01:13 PM
Its been stated many times over. There is nothing you can do until the re-flash is available and that there is no danger to your car if the coolant temps are in order. The chimes will be a nusiance if you are driving the car hard. Most cars do not even have oil temp guages so you will have to make pretend this car doesn't either until the re-flash comes in.

Cole
03-17-2004, 02:42 PM
On most cars, the oil temp usually runs about 20 degrees less than coolant temp. If you are running a long canyon or at the track (road course) the temp can be much higher. I have a machanical Autometer Oil Temp gauge on my LT1 w/ a 160 thermostat and it runs about 140 or so around town, and as high as 195 on the track or in the canyons. My car has an oil cooler though. The LS6 has a deeper oil pan to keep the oil cooler, not to mention it is made out of aluminum to dissipate the heat better. As stated previously, the oil temp issue will be corrected by a re-flash or the software, NOT a mechanical repair. There is no problem running this engine WITHOUT an oil cooler. It has been done since 98 in the F and Y body cars and all of the C/K trucks without any problems.

Good luck,
Cole

BenH
03-18-2004, 07:52 AM
Thanks, all. I am coming from a 96 Impala SS with both oil (internal) and trans (external) coolers and am used to very low oil and trans temps, even under very hard driving. The LT1 was already designed well for cooling with reverse flow, and I guess GM added the coolers as a protective measure - was wondering why not do the same with an oil coller for the LS6, especially because they put a power steering cooler on the V and such was only available on the B body with the 9C1 police package. I have 124,000 miles on my SS with no cooling related problems (other than three heater cores early on under warranty until I switched out of the dexcool), and I want to expect the same from the V. Sounds like I can add one after market if desired.

Z06 owner
03-30-2004, 05:24 PM
Yeah, but owning a Z06 and running it on the track, I have first hand evidence that the LS6 develops _a lot_ of heat.

GM said not to worry on the vette too, but it was an issue (as was trans and diff heat management as well)

R

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index