Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Crescendo
03-18-2004, 11:53 AM
I have stock calipers and euro rotors and SS lines. I drive fairly aggressively and went thru Pagid blue's f/r in one day.

Thanks for your advice!
Scott

M3Law
03-18-2004, 12:16 PM
) and have had significant experience with those pads. This is what I have found: For the rear pads, the pagid yellows work very well & I would stay with those with the stock set up. For the fronts, the pagid oranges have good performance in terms of bite, modulation, release characteristics, resistance to fade BUT the pad material will disentegrate in about two days of track events. Without cooling ducts on the stock set up and/or the euro rotors, these pads just get eaten up. I went through three (3) sets of front pads @ $208 to $240 a set, ouch. The longest set lasted under three full days of track time. I warmed them up properly, and would properly cool them down. Never had a problem with pad deposits at the end of a run, but the pad material would pop, crack, and fall apart by the end of the day.

I have since switched to Hawk Blacks which are hard as nails and rated up to around 1600 degrees. I will say the Hawk Blacks biggest drawback is they seem to have poor release characteristics. I mean when you try and rotate the wheel by hand there seems to be noticeably more drag than with other pads. These pads do hold up though in the same environment that killed the oranges. I plan to try pagid blacks once these are gone. I had originally wished to try the pagid blacks but they were on national back order when I needed them. Oh, one last thing, for whats it worth, the Hawk Blacks are less usable on the street (event for just driving to the event), whereas the oranges work just fine but squeal like the dickens (also too pricey of a pad for day to day).

Crescendo
03-18-2004, 12:36 PM
so would you expect the Oranges to be fine for front? Or should I see if Pagid Black is avaialbale for front? What is the primary difference between Orange and Black? Effect on Euro rotors?

M3Law
03-18-2004, 01:10 PM
s the oranges would be good. Many club racers, and even ALMS participants use Pagid Oranges (of course they generally have better cooling systems than the stock setup). However, before purchasing either, I would talk with Northstar Motorsports and/or others who have had direct comparisons with these two exact pads, particularly with cross drilled rotors which often affect pads differently than solid or slotted rotors. Because I am currently running the Hawk HT-10s for my front pads on track days, I can't speak specifically to the difference between Pagid Oranges and Blacks, on our set up (yet).

At the end of the day, I think your track experience with be very favorable with either. Which ever you use, you should post your experience for others to learn from.

Good luck.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index