Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : Combining model parts?

mstevens
03-18-2004, 10:37 PM
I'd love a 1:18 Z4 model, but (of course) I want one in the colors of my actual car. With all my previous bimmers I managed to find a nice model in the desired colors. However, with the current one I can't find the right combo. I've got a Sterling grey exterior with a red/grey interior. I've found the right exterior color and the right interior, but not together! I'm wondering about buying each and somehow swapping the interiors. Does anyone here have any experience with doing this?

1980 320i (Sold)
1990 535i (Sold)
2001 330xi Prem, Sport, Cold Wx, Nav, Xenons (Sold)
2004 X3 3.0 Prem, Cold Wx, Nav, Xenons, PDC, Htd Wheel
2004 Z4 3.0 Prem, Sport, Conv, Nav, Xenons, Htd Seats

RickKap
03-26-2004, 05:22 PM
Here is a Z4 but not in your Z4's color combo.

rsmillar
04-10-2004, 11:52 PM
Most diecast models may be disassembled, detailed, and reassembled into a model that is far superior to the original factory kit. It is quite common to (for example) remove the body, strip the paint, and repaint using actual manufacturer's paint of your color choice. Then you can mix up some paint to match the interior and paint those parts as well. There is even available flocking paint to simulate carpeting, etc.

Tricks like applying Future Floor Wax (no kidding) to the clear parts result in a model that is quite realistic to the prototype.

The list goes on and on as to what's possible - it all depends on how authentic you want your model to be.

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index