Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

tlennen
03-19-2004, 09:49 AM
I am flirting with trading my '01 M5 for a V. Have any of you owned an M5? I am curious as to how they stack up among real world drivers. I also own and Escalade so I am not dissing GM, but I have to admit I am a little squeamish about this.

My logic is that my M5 will come of warranty next year, and most of you probably know how mind numbing it is to maintain these high end BMW's. Mine is black, and I like to keep it looking nice, and it gets really old having to wash it about every three days. I would buy a silver V and have three years worry free driving plus a new vehicle. I think I can trade pretty much even up.

If any of you have had an M, I would appreciate some feedback. As you know, those M5's are about as addictive a car as one can drive.

Thanks in advance.

GNSCOTT
03-19-2004, 01:38 PM
you'd have 4 years worry free. The V has a 4 year 50k mile bumper to bumper warranty.

RickKap
03-19-2004, 08:40 PM
just curious..

tlennen
03-20-2004, 02:24 PM
It looks better in person than in pictures. It looks great with the sport package. I actually am more down on the interior than the outside. For me, the real problem is the price. In a perfect world I would get a new 545, but when you get all the nice add ons, sport, etc., you are looking at $70K with taxes. I bought my M5 used with 15,000 miles on it for $53K. To me a used M5 for $17K less than a new 545 is a much better bang for the buck.

Daniel
03-21-2004, 09:08 PM
Was one of the first, anthracite over carmel... really great car. I put about 18k miles on it, in the US and Europe. Sold a while back (too many cars when our first child was born).

Comparison? The V is more fun to drive, more involving... and has really great sound from the engine and exhaust. The steering is lighter than the M5 (at speeds over 120+ I prefer heavier steering). The shift action is equivanlent. Handling wise, the V doesn't plow (understeer) like the M5 did. Driver comfort is better, more legroom (a bit less headroom with the sunroof in the V), and less aggressive side bolstering on the seat bottom. Interior materials are not comparable, as my M5 had leather and alcantara everywhere. The interior design on the V is somewhat attractive... all of the following are much better in the V: stereo sound, built-in XM, and nav system (the BMW nav was crap). The brakes in the V are better: feel is great, much less fade; they don't feel overtaxed like in the M5. Acceleration is probably equivalent. Depending on launch RPM, the M5 would bog, wheel hop, or spin (your choice); the V has trouble getting spin, it likes to wheelhop (you have to dump the clutch to get it, it doesn't happen much otherwise).

I wouldn't have considered a Caddy, but my wife recently purchased an 04 Escalade and really loves it. So I took a peek at the first V in the area, it was black like my wife's Escalade... the owner backed out, so it was mine.

Any other questions, post here.
Dan

KJK
03-22-2004, 06:34 PM
BMW's are free to 50k, even where and tear items. So a low mileage used M5 gets you even more coverage than the new Caddy. After the E60 is released, the price of the E39 will drop for a while.

tlennen
03-22-2004, 08:57 PM
Actually is it not 4 years or 50K whichever comes first. For instance, my M5 was put in production in June of 2001 meaning I have 15 months of warranty left despite only having 17,500 miles on the car. Don't get me wrong. I love my M5 and had lusted to have one for 2-3 years. I am not convinced that all around the V is as good a car, but I can actually swing most of a V through my employer whereas a BMW is totally politically off limits...

Also, the free maintenance thing with BMW is a little bit of a misnomer. With oil changes it's once a year or whenever the service bars are gone, which is probably about 15,000 miles. Even though it's synthetic oil, how many people are going to wait 15,000 miles to change the oil in a car where they have $75K invested?

I love BMW's, but I really think their pricing strategy will start stretching more and more late year baby boomers who are facing hugely inflated college costs for their kids among other expenses.

RickKap
03-23-2004, 08:41 PM
shifting goes?

TEAShea
03-24-2004, 06:05 PM
I have a 545i that I purchased in December. I really like it. It is more refined than a CTS but not as powerful as the CTS-V. Road and Track lists the CTS-V as 5.0 0-60 and the 545i as 5.3. I will not get my CTS-V until next week. When I do, I will post a comparison on this site. By the way I paid about $61,000 for my 545i, including sports package. The 645i coupe is about $15,000 more than the sedan.

Tom Shea

Daniel
03-24-2004, 06:29 PM
Shifting the V is extremely easy, engagement in gear is positive, throws are medium length, and the mechanism feels substantial. A similar Tremec T56 was in a previous car - Viper GTS - and that had very long throws and felt rather "agrigultural." None of that in the V. Clutch engagement is light. I found my 2000 M5 tranny to be a bit balky, and prefer the V in that respect. Both 5th and 6th gears are overdrive (like Viper and Corvette), so you feel like you've got a 5 speed much of the time.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index