Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

msheri01
03-19-2004, 11:55 AM
New message from GM, starting today there is a performance shock package option on the V-series. I will post more info once I get it.

clintonm9
03-19-2004, 12:04 PM
Keep us posted! Where did you hear that? Do you think it will help the wheel hop? This will upset me if they make you pay to fix the wheel hop!!

msheri01
03-19-2004, 12:05 PM
Option is 1,260.00 list and shows as a dealer-installed item. I am still looking for addtl. information.

GNSCOTT
03-19-2004, 12:07 PM
If it is dealer installed, does that mean that the price includes installation?

clintonm9
03-19-2004, 12:14 PM
O okay, a dealer install is different. Smart move for the dealers!

Ben
03-19-2004, 01:07 PM
or that there are part#s that we could self install?

-Ben

AndyO
03-19-2004, 02:56 PM
My dealer Crest Cadillac said 10,000 CTS-V have been delivered since introduction.
Can you confirm this???

Ben
03-19-2004, 03:00 PM
I don't THINK so. I would be hard pressed to say 10k CTS's have been built so far this year. But i'm just an owner (don't work for GM/delaer), what do I know.
-Ben

clinton mills
03-19-2004, 04:58 PM
One thing everyone should know about dealers don't know crap! They say some much and they really don't knwo. They say all kind of off the wall stuff

KJTROT
03-19-2004, 07:28 PM
This would be very upsetting to learn that Cadillac found a fix and wanted to charge over $1200. They knew the wheel hop issue was somewhat negative from a performance standpoint. I hope that the shocks and other suspension parts are very special for the money. Time and trials will tell.

GNSCOTT
03-19-2004, 08:21 PM
I think the number is closer to 1,000 units delivered

msheri01
03-19-2004, 09:11 PM
Sorry, nowhere near that many. Since production did not start until mid-January, and the cars are built in the same plant as the SRX and CTS, there is not even sufficient capacity to build that number. I would suspect that he is referring to the total calendar year production of all vehicles out of that plant. Keep in mind that the last six digits of the VIN are the production sequence number, and that starts at the beginning of the model year. Since the cars are produced on the same line the VINs are not seperated. Also, according to information at the meeting at the big football game whose MVP chose a V, the production of the V-series cars will not exceed 10% of total production of any model line that has a V. Since there were only about 35,000 CTS built last year, that will give you an idea. The dealers have been told over and over that this is limited production, and so far, these cars are as hard for dealers to get as XLR's.

msheri01
03-19-2004, 09:20 PM
This is all I have been able to find out.

RPO code is FG2-this is the suspension code, production of these will not start until first of April. Today was the first day orders could be entered or modified to include this option(which I did on some of our order bank). The pricing sheet lists this as a dealer-installed option. This usually refers to items that are shipped in the carton, then installed during pre-delivery inspection(like the running boards on Escalades,mud guards on SRX, XM antenna on XLR). There is not an updated reference in the shop manual yet, and no part numbers are listed for this RPO code in the parts locater yet. I sent an e-mail to the brand manager, and have not heard back yet on the questions I posed. I pulled up older model references, and this RPO code was used to identify heavy-duty sport suspensions in prior production vehicles. That is all I have been able to find out so far. I asked our field rep. today, and the information I have found is all that they have so far also. I will keep you posted. In the meantime, if you have an order in that is not scheduled for production, I would call your dealer first thing Monday if you want this added to your car. The orders that drop for scheduling will not be able to be changed after Tuesday. They will not be able to modify the order on Monday, but they can on Tuesday morning. Just a suggestion.

PBR
03-20-2004, 12:49 AM
It would be a good thing if this "package" also fixes the "wheel hop" issue. I'd buy this fix quickly rather than invent my own by trial and error. I'm starting to look for some of the traction bars we used back in the '60's to control this!
PBR

BenH
03-20-2004, 08:09 AM
It may be that it is a delete of the rear air shocks. This may allow more weight to shift to the axle on a hard launch, which could help the wheel hop. My only possible issue is whether the air shock delet would result in a lowered rear - giving a sag look (similar to my Impalla SS before I put Bilsteins and 9C1 rear springs in it). Time will tell.

Akula6
03-22-2004, 04:57 PM
Meanwhile, what are the current owners of CTS-V supposed to do? I just took delivery of my CTS-V and just my luck, I read this thread!

msheri01
03-23-2004, 12:58 PM
This is a shock package that will be shipped to dealers when car is shipped. It is supposed to be a stiffer shock for all four shocks. This is intended to be installed by the dealer. From information I have been able to find, the shock setup is supposed to provide a much firmer ride, more in line with track driving. While there is no part ordering information yet, it would make sense that the shocks will be available as a kit, or individually, once production of this option begins in April.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index