Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Jimbo733i
03-20-2004, 07:26 AM
Once you remove the distributor, there is the rotor which is screwed onto a metal thing shaped like a "T", within the middle of the "T" there is a 6mm allen bolt that screws into the cam shaft...

trying to remove this on my old 733i I stripped the hell out of it and I've been slowly grinding it down and its been about a week and I still havent gotten it off.

So, before I even do any major attmepts on the 745i, are there any special tricks to removing it, is it reverse thread, does it have thread locker? I tried to take it out with a 6mm allen socket and I could barely move it in either direction... and I really really really do not want to strip this one!

Thanks,
~James

Steve: 85 735i, 87 735i, 87 535is
03-20-2004, 09:30 AM
just enough to soak the screw. Make sure you have enough depth and pressure not to strip the head and crank it. Normal lefty loosey.

tondoman5000
03-20-2004, 10:37 AM
I soak with PB-Blaster, put in the allen head and give a decent whack with a hammer. Loosens it and straightens out the allen head.
Don

Russell Mack
03-21-2004, 01:00 AM
use a 25 lb sledge and bust the rotor off. Or better yet try channel locks or a dremmel cut off tool to chip away at it. Once some of the rotor is gone and you can see the bolt just use pliers to get it off. I have had problems with this bolt also mine is just about rounded out.

Russell Mack
85' 735i

Russell Mack
03-22-2004, 01:23 AM
about. When I was in the army I worked on missiles. We had to take hatches off for inspections. The phillips screws would get rounded out. The sarge said put some mud on the screw bit for grip. Sure enough just enough friction for it to work. You could put some kitchen cleanser/water paste on the allen wrench or a slurry of oil and grinding compound. Hold it straight tight and true and give it a sharp whack. Remember it turns clockwise to loosen from your perspective since you are behind it.

Just a thought.
Russell Mack

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index