Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

msheri01
03-23-2004, 12:55 PM
While the orders are not being accepted by the system, the following information is new. For 2005 redline will be an extra cost color, stealth gray is available, light gray interior is available. The performance shock package, which is a regular production accessory shipped for the vehicle and installed by the dealer, sunroof, and engien block heater are the other options.

Nupeskee
03-23-2004, 03:21 PM

msheri01
03-23-2004, 08:45 PM
I have not been able to get a definite answer on that yet. Just that they are a stiffer shock intended for track-type use. I will post more when we can get more info. GM Parts does not list numbers yet for kit or individual shocks, but we keep checking. Since the option is first being built in April, it may take several weeks for them to get their catalog info updated. I drove a V that came in today, and I could not duplicate the wheel hop concern under normal shifting, and since this car will be someone else's baby, I was not about to do a clutch dump on it at any rpm. I will post more info when I can get it.

Daniel
03-23-2004, 09:09 PM
The wheel hop issue is almost exclusively when you dump the clutch, either from a standstill or on the 1-2 shift. In any case, there is only two reasons you will set it:

1. Because you really want to smoke the tires from a standstill
2. You are trying to find that ultimate launch with a minor amount of wheel spin

In either case, you will find wheel hop. Driven even aggresively, the wheel hop does not really rear it's ugly head.

Daniel
03-23-2004, 09:13 PM
I believe springs would be involved in lowering the car... peformance shocks would offer different damping to the existing springs. Some questions that should be answered in the next few weeks:

1. Is it meant for road course
2. Is it meant for autocross
3. How skittish is it on the street
4. How does it affect the ride
5. As a side benefit, what does it do for wheel hop

It does seem to be rather expensive nonetheless... and it is odd in my mind that they don't offer it installed from the factory (would be cheaper).

Nupeskee
03-24-2004, 05:38 PM

BenH
03-24-2004, 09:05 PM
If the performance shocks are not air shocks in the rear, there may be some lowering especially with load. Do we know whetather the performance shocks delete the rear air shock?

JohnG
03-24-2004, 10:11 PM
Load leveling is a wonderful thing in a performance sedan or wagon - it means you can still run 100+ with a full load of people or cargo in the back and not worry about excessive negative camber causing scary things to happen.

PBR
03-25-2004, 12:06 AM
If you find a wheel hop fix, we are interested!
PBR

msheri01
03-25-2004, 07:11 AM
Do not know yet, I have e-mailed the CTS product manager, and he has forwarded my questions to another engineer, but I have not heard back yet. There is no information in shop manuals, tsb's, or other paperwork yet. I check daily, and will post as soon as I find it. Since this is an RPA-regular production accessory, and added mid-year, there is no information in the current manuals, and GMSPO has not added the parts to the catalog yet. The guess right now is that this will be able to be added to early production V's once the part stock becomes available. If it follows true to pattern timewise, I would guess about 8 weeks after production of the option starts. As I said, the CTS brand manager is aware of the questions, and has said information will be provided as soon as it is available.

msheri01
03-26-2004, 08:40 PM
I can't get a definite answer yet on the lowering issue with the shock package, but I do know that it will be able to be ordered from GMSPO and will fit the 2004 cars built prior to the option being available, if someone wants to retrofit their 2004. The kit is supposed to be 4 shocks that are for track-type use.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index