Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Daniel
03-24-2004, 09:25 AM
Finally got some extended driving time, went to the coast for the weekend (230+ miles).

Where the highway opened up, and when the crosswinds quieted down, the car ran up to 150+ and handled great. Need to spend some time this coming weekend to scrape the insect carcasses off the front fascia and windshield.

I pumped the tires up to 34 rear and 32 front, based on the manual's suggestion for driving over 130. These were set when it was cold at my house (40f), and between the temperature change at the coast (65-70f) and high speed driving, I managed to set-off the tire pressure monitor (kicks in at 42psi). Still waiting for the new software reflash to become available, as extended hard driving had my oil temp sensor flashing and chiming, going over 310f... again not a big deal. Coolant temp was fine, and not a drop of oil used since day one.

The brakes are great, extremely powerful and fade was not an issue (although not being in Europe anymore, it is hard to run contiuously at high speeds with repeated hard braking to really test fade resistance).

The transmission and clutch work well together, all around easy to use with positive engagement. Only issue was finding 5th gear when switching up from 4th near redline; will see if it's an issue in the future, but not really concerned.

The V takes well to high speed cornering, leans a bit then plants firmly. Really great feel in your hands, steering feel is pretty good. All around suspension comfort is great, handles bumps mid-corner reasonably well (although not quite as confident as M5, but that's a trade off for less understeer).

One thing I noticed is how unstressed the whole package feels, the engine freely revs up to the red zone, and nothing seems overtaxed. The sounds from the engine and exhaust are fantastic - once you get on the throttle the song is amazing.

Comfort was good for the length of this trip (6'3" and not stick-thin), leg didn't freeze up, plenty of room to move around. The sun-roof does intrude a bit, my hair occassionaly brushes the roof area closer to the window.

Overall, everything is suprisingly great with the V.

JohnG
03-24-2004, 02:41 PM
I think the reason a fast 4th to 5th shift near redline didn't go as smoothly as say 1-2 or 2-3 under the same conditions is simply that you don't do it as often, so your hand isn't programmed to make that motion. I always do that one more deliberately myself, simply for lack of familiarity - you need lots of road to be at redline in 4th and doing a fast shift to 5th ;-)

03-24-2004, 03:39 PM
I think that, what you meant to say, instead of "When the highway opened up,...." was "When on a closed private course, with a professional driver and with approved safety gear,....."

I'm sure it was just a typo....your honor.....

Doug

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index