Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Shaun
03-24-2004, 07:29 PM
Just wondering if this sound is usual. I noticed what could only be described as a woman singing softly as my RPMs reach 2,200 and above. Itís a medium pitch oooooh noise. Itís really hard to describe a sound but there it is. Anyone else notice this. You can test it in idle and rev up to 2,200 rpm and above and you will hear it. As I let off the accelerator as the RPMs pass 2,200 and drop the noise goes up in pitch slightly and then disappears. So what do you guys think this is?

alan
03-25-2004, 03:20 PM
...a couple of possibilities that come to mind are

- alternator whine coming through the speakers (turn off the radio and see if the noise persists--if so, it isn't this)

- some sort of weird effect of the air being sucked into the intake

My first guess was going to be that it was a whistle created by wind, but you said it happens sitting still so I guess not.

--Alan

Shaun
03-25-2004, 03:35 PM
well, its not the speakers either. It could be some kind of suction noise. Has any one else with a V noticed this? I will pop the hood and try and listen that way.

GNSCOTT
03-26-2004, 06:34 PM
get under that hood and look. My guess is pulley whine. Maybe the AC when the defroster comes on?

Shaun
03-26-2004, 07:47 PM
Its not an occasional noise, it is a very reliable noise that come in affect in any gear including idle when the RPM's are at 2,200 and above. I will check under the hood and listen.

Bill
03-26-2004, 07:57 PM
Don't hear it on mine Shaun.

msheri01
03-26-2004, 08:37 PM
Shaun,is the noise able to be duplicated whether the climate control system is on or not? If so I would inspect the pulleys, check a/c compressor mounting brackets, and belt for looseness. If you can't determine easily, I would stop by your dealer and ask the tech to listen to it with you.

Bill
03-28-2004, 06:24 PM
Mary - mine make the same noise but not all the time. It's not associated with the a/c nor the audio system. Weird.

Tonto
03-28-2004, 10:03 PM
I have a V with 1200 miles and I notice the same sound at 1100 rpm in high gears and at 2200 rpm in 1st,2nd, and 3rd. It sounds like air intake or something. I am able to replicate the sound while sitting some time but it happens consistently when driving. Any answers. On another matter, any one have answers regarding the clanking sound when shifting from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd? Is it the tranny or bushings?

William

Shaun
03-29-2004, 05:12 PM
Thanks, I will look into those areas.

vmaniac
03-30-2004, 11:25 PM
My V makes he same noise -- kinda like it. sounds like its coming form the gear box.

03-30-2004, 11:53 PM
The clanking sound is a bit of a mystery. 3 V's that I have driven had the noise; service manager and sales manager said it sounded wrong. On the first car, they replaced the Transmission. Then when #2 and #3 had the same noise, an engineer flew out from GM to check it out. They said it was normal driveline backlash. Only problem is, from my perspective, I have not heard a similar noise when driving any other cars (including Z06, S5, M5, and numerous 5.0 litre mustangs.

I don't know what to make of it, and it may end up forcing to to refrain from re-purchasing another V (the dealer took back the one on which they replaced the transmission).

Doug

03-31-2004, 07:13 AM
that would be an "S4" of course, not an S5.....and perhaps that is the "driveline snatch" that was referred to in one of the british sounding "delivery reports" posted in the last few days.

Never heard that term before.

Shaun
03-31-2004, 02:59 PM
lol, its funny that you like that sound. I am getting use to it, and I still have yet to investigate the sound.

Tonto
04-02-2004, 08:49 PM
Thanks Doug. I'll have my tech check it out and communicate any signigicant findings.

Chuck
04-10-2004, 08:46 AM
It is a harmonic developed by the water flow through the motor. It is not in all of the cars. If you take off the sepentine belt you will see that it does not happen as the water is not flowing. Obviously you only do this to see what I mean, you should never disconnect this for long as you will fry your motor.

Some cars are much worse than others. There is nothing the dealer can do about this condition.

I thought it odd as the motor is not new, the car is. Obviously the piping is different than in the Z06's and you might not hear it in those cars due to the difference in structure. I have never checked to see if it exists in the Z06 but it very well might.

Tonto
04-12-2004, 04:58 PM
Doug,

I had my V in for the clanking noise and the funny noise observed at 1100 and 2200 rpm. In both cases the techs informed me (after talking with the engineers at GM) that these are "normal" sounds for the car. Apparently, the singing noise is coming from the exhaust system and does no harm to the car. The clanking sound is from the transmission/clutch assembly and apparently is observed on most Vettes' with the same engine and transmission. The advice was to drive the car and not worry. We'll see...I have not pushed the care very hard for fear of the above mentioned items.. I guess I have the green light now.

William

cadillac04
04-19-2004, 03:13 PM
I got the sound to stop for a short time but it never seems to go away completely. The car goes to the dealer tomorrow to see if they can find the source of the sound. Just passed 500 miles so breakin is over!

cadillac04
04-19-2004, 03:17 PM
When I get the car back from the dealer I'll let everyone know what they find ( if they find the source of the noise). Since it does stop occasionally there must be a fix.

Rich H
04-19-2004, 11:40 PM
I thought the sound only occurred when the car was in gear and moving but I noticed it today at a full stop when I was reving the engine. I'm beginning to get used to it and I can immediately tell that I'm at ~ 2100 to 2200 RPM when I hear it - with light acceleration of course. Otherwise the engine drowns it out. Who needs a Tach when this noise is such a reliable indicator? Let us know what the dealer has to say.

cadillac04
04-20-2004, 07:57 PM
Well back from the dealer and no results.
The service manager cannot believe that a Cadillac could have a weird sound like that and that there wouldn't be a fix.The tech will contact GM technical and let them know what he tried and what the next step should be. The service manager said that he heard the sound , drove around for a while and then it was gone. The car was inside the shop and everyone heard the sound but then the tech drove it outside and the sound was gone. A short time later, it was back.
The service manager said I should drive it and get some more miles on the car and see if the sound changes.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index