Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : Does the adaptive cruise control really work?

johncalifornia
03-31-2004, 11:18 PM
I'm happy with my 1998 XJ8, but if I could "steal" one feature from the X350, it would be adaptive cruise control.

Provided, that is, that it really works.

What I want is to set the cruise control at 70 and drive the Bay Area freeways in a car that's smart enough to slow down when following slower cars ahead, then speed up again when they change lanes, or I pull out to an empty lane.

Does the new XJ's adaptive cruise control come through in real world usage? Or is the technology not yet sufficiently refined?

Thanks in advance for feedback.
John Mulvihill, technical writer, San Francisco Bay Area
1998 XJ8, Anthracite/Charcoal

PaulNeko
04-02-2004, 11:10 AM
I'm impressed with it. I can set the cruise @ let's say 75 and then when it approaches a vehicle upfront it slows it down very smoothly. It also really allows a lot of room when it starts to slow down. So far this is one feature that has lived up to its expectation in my opinion. I still think the real cupholders is the best improvement.

Hendrik
04-02-2004, 11:18 AM
I am happy to say that they tried to hide these cupholders when not in use (as opposed to some newer BMW's). It makes cars looking so American! I can understand that car makers have to sell their wares globally, but at least they should try to keep some dignity.

Hendrik

BK Hammond
04-03-2004, 01:29 PM
I have the system on my 04 XJR. It was the one thing could have lived without until I used it the first time. Now I am hooked.

It takes a while to get used to it, though. We're all used to hitting the "resume" button and feeling a car accelerate on its own. However, feeling your car brake on its own is a strange sensation, testing whether you really trust your car's electronic senses.

Once you get used to it, it's great.

johncalifornia
04-03-2004, 07:29 PM
My X308's "old fashioned" cruise control is an excellent system, maybe the smoothest and most intuitive I've ever used. So naturally, my hopes for the company's new adaptive version were high.

From the limited feedback I've received here, it sounds like this far more complex radar-based system passes the "real world" usability test.

(Some manufacturers' adaptive systems don't. I've heard of them picking up traffic in oncoming lanes and hitting the brakes and other horror stories.)

Unlike reclining, fan-fed rear seats, adaptive cruise control is a "luxury" that will rapidly become a necessity, IMHO. Being able to pace the traffic you're driving in is a very sensible thing to automate because the process requires so much work when you do it manually.

Now I'm in a quandary. My dream car has been a last-X308-year 2003 VDP Super V-8, which I planned to buy about six years from now when used ones are in my income bracket. But to get adaptive cruise, I might just have to spring for an aluminum Jag after all.
John Mulvihill, technical writer, San Francisco Bay Area
1998 XJ8, Anthracite/Charcoal

RickKap
04-03-2004, 07:59 PM
I agree.

Electronic closing doors and other "luxury" gizmos aren't real luxury.

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index