Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

david
04-01-2004, 12:24 PM
I HAVE A 2000 CLK320. The rain sensor is not working so therefore I
have no intermintant wipers.
I am getting various answers from different Mercedes service departments. One tells me that this involves an entire new windshield.I have never had a new windshield installed without it creating different problems. The other service dept tells me that they can simply remove the mirror take off the old sensor which is glued to the windshield the attatch the new one and that will solve the problem. Has anyone had this issue and if so what was the true fix.
The carhas only 42,000 miles but has an in service date of Nov 99.
Your help will be greatly appreciated.
thanks

Beadlek
04-02-2004, 03:37 AM
I have the same problem.
Mercedes dealer wants over $1000 to replace windshield then maybe the sensor will work.
Other shops recommend that I have a windshield shop clean and reinstall a new sensor itself. They have quoted 200-250 for the job.

The problem is that the sensor may go bad, or the clear "view" from the outside of the glass to the sensor is bad (from old adhesive, debris). The sensor maybe still operational, but can't work if the adhesive has become unclear.
Hope this helps
Ken

david
04-19-2004, 12:37 PM
Beadlek,
If your still having the wiper problem i can tell you what my fix was.
I did need an entire windshield with the sensor unit attatched to the windshield.
i went to an independent auto glass installer and he was able to get
MB glas with the sensor for $415.
This is the actual Benz glass with the star in the lower left corner.
My wipers work fine now.
Stay clear of the dealer and the job should be able to be done for
under $500.
Good luck.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index