Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : Just found out my parents got an X350 XJR!!!

alan
04-10-2004, 10:11 PM
My parents apparently bought a new X350 XJR about a week and a half ago and didn't tell me until just now! They traded their '03 XJR on it.

I'll have to get some pictures of it the next time I visit them. So far they are enjoying it quite a bit.

Positive comments from them so far:

- craftmanship even better than the previous one
- can really feel better acceleration due to lighter weight
- doors close with an even more solid thunk than the previous one (kudos to Jaguar for managing this even on a lighter car)
- various electronic wizardry doesn't seem to be too hard for them to use, unlike systems in some other luxury marques (iDrive is way beyond them)

Negative comments from them so far:

- 20" wheel/tire package makes for increased road noise (not surprising)
- turn radius seems larger to them. they haven't measured it of course, but it feels like their old car turned tighter
- the car feels like it has more body roll during cornering than the previous model

I forgot to ask whether they got it at Millennium or Overseas--they've bought a string of XJ8s and XJRs from both of those dealerships in the DFW area in the past.

--Alan

RickKap
04-11-2004, 01:23 AM
What color combo is it?
Does it have Pirelli tires?

Congrats!

alan
04-11-2004, 01:11 PM
...lighter color is called...I can't remember right now). My dad said it has Michelins on it. Their '03 had Pirellis.

--Alan

RickKap
04-11-2004, 02:10 PM
Will you drive it soon and report on how it drives compared to the cars you have driven?

Thanks!

alan
04-11-2004, 08:15 PM
...I'll drive it and report back how it compares to their previous XJR as well as some other cars I have driven.

I am really pleased that the new X350 seems to be such a great car. There are such few choices in the premium luxury performance market, and it is nice to see one where everything seems to have come together well, from design to performance.

--Alan

BKH
04-12-2004, 11:21 AM
Congratulations to your parents!

If they're curious about the wheel / tire difference, I've driven the 04 with 19" and 20" wheels. My XJR has the 19" with Pirelli P Zeros. It's MUCH quieter! Seeing as how I only use my MINI Cooper S for maximum g-force cornering, I'm more than happy with the 19" wheels.

Congrats again. Post pix when you can.

Hendrik
04-13-2004, 06:43 AM
I must say that the premium luxury performance market gets a lot better nowadays. There is much more choice; just look at some BMW's, AMG-Mercedes, Audi A8, even Volkswagen Phaeton, the new Maserati Quattroporte, the Lancia Thesis, the small Bentley, the new Aston-Martin, and of course the Jaguar XJR. No we are rather spoiled I think.

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index