Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Akula6
04-11-2004, 02:32 PM
Anyone know what the "traffic" button does? I have been puzzled by it.

darrelld
04-11-2004, 03:26 PM
The Traffic button provides information from radio stations in your area that broadcast RDS(Radio Data System) data. Very few metropolitan areas have radio stations that broadcast an RDS compatible signal.

A future solution, XM NavTraffic, is designed to fully integrate with the vehicle's on-board navigation system to display current information about traffic incidents and average traffic speed along specific roadways.

Only the 2005 Cadillac CTS and Acura RL will offer this option.

zig
04-11-2004, 03:57 PM
I have a pending question out to both Cadillac and XM to find out whether all 2005 CTS's will be able to use NavTraffic when it becomes available, or whether it will be an additional factory option that becomes available later in the year.

darrelld
04-11-2004, 04:28 PM
Please post your findings. I would like this option for my late 05 or early 06 CTSV purchase if available.

zig
04-11-2004, 04:40 PM
Well, I just heard back from Cadillac (no word from XM yet). They're telling me that they can't find any information on an 05 option for this, even though it's mentioned in XM's press release. That tells me one of three things:

- NavTraffic is either built into all 05s or will require nothing more than a nav software upgrade to get working, and therefore they wouldn't see any option for it. This is plausible, since the traffic signal travels with XM's music signal, and the cars all have XM antennas already along with a connection into the nav computer.
- GM hasn't finalized plans for rolling the service out yet.
- The rep who emailed me really didn't know what she was talking about. :-)

I'll post more once I hear back from XM.

darrelld
04-11-2004, 05:29 PM
Thanks for your reply, I'll keep looking for more info on this and post back anything I find.

clinton Mills
04-11-2004, 06:11 PM
Why in the world is there a button just for traffic if it is not widely used? I think it is a dumb button.

darrelld
04-11-2004, 06:35 PM
Its sorta low tech and therefore more of a Euro thing.

darrelld
04-11-2004, 06:36 PM

zig
04-11-2004, 06:39 PM
Most GM cars have had RDS compliant radios for several years now, so they usually have a TRAF button. I've never once seen it do anything interesting, though. If you look in the CTS nav manual, there is a screen shot of the nav screen with a traffic alert ... just so you know what it can theoretically do if any U.S. radio stations actually broadcast such alerts. NavTraffic is a much more interesting technology, but it's unclear when the CTS will start to support it ... should be by year's end.

zieglerc
04-13-2004, 09:02 PM
Just heard back from XM. Their reply was less than helpful. And I quote:

"After going to the Cadillac website we see that for the CTS has XM satellite radio in it as a standard option."

Sounds like the customer service folks at XM have not been briefed on NavTraffic yet. I guess the only way we'll know for sure is to wait around for the 05's.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index