Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

the02shed
04-23-2004, 04:27 PM

Wake271
04-24-2004, 11:37 PM

the02shed
04-25-2004, 05:53 PM

the02shed
04-25-2004, 06:01 PM
group, it was great. It was only a 4 pot 116i, so no ball of fire but it is a mighty fine handler. It is a much younger car in feel & target market than the 3 series, and there will be some funky trim/ colour combinations. Alongside the Euro competition ( Golf, Audi A3, Focus etc.)it is very distinctive, lower and sleeker than them all. It has a much longer wheelbase than any of the others, and a definitive BMW feel to it. Can't really comment on the trim quality etc. as it was not a production example, but the technology that the 1 series will bring to this segment will really take it forward. Over here, the 120 diesel looks to be the one (no pun intended) to go for-163bhp & a ton of torque!

tg
04-26-2004, 02:33 PM
Do you have some more info about the 116?
Because I live in europe and drive alot my alternetives are either the 120d or a small four banger gas guzzler.Or perhaps the e90 if its really great,.
I like the diesels torque boost(drive occasionally tdi“s and 320d`s)but the loveliest car I`ve ever had was my first new Bmw,a e36 316compact.
How does the engine sound,is it fun to rev it?Is the car really as agile as predicted?how about engine noise?

the02shed
04-26-2004, 06:57 PM
and they were pretty much all at the track, so the engine was still tight. It does have more power than the old 316 Compact, but is a world away in every other respect too. It is happy to rev like all BMW's, but if you have driven a modern 4 cylinder BMW diesel, then there will be no comparison with the old Compact. The current 320d is a storming car, and the diesel engine in the 120d will be even more powerful than that.Yes, the car felt very agile, a true BMW,and was beautifully balanced thru the twisty bits. Couldn't really tell about engine/ road noise, as I was revving the nuts off it most of the time,and it was a pre-production car. I didn't notice it being any louder than a current 3 series, though.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index