Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

GSDPack
05-04-2004, 10:33 AM
Hello everyone, this is my first post to this forum.

My wife and I are looking at a new car (her car - 25th anniversary) and the original list was:
BMW 745i
Infiniti Q45
Jaguar XJ8
Lexus GS430

Attrition ahs brought the list down to:
Jaguar XJ8
Lexus GS430

I was wondering if anyone had information on the reliability of the XJ8 line for 2000-2003, Consumer Report does not have anything on the 2004 XJ8 wince they view it as a new model. She wants the Jaguar more then the Lexus by a huge margin but is worried about the reliability issue.

The local dealer worked out a 39 month lease and said that the residual was 38%. When I totaled the lease payments and the residual value it appeared that we would be able to own the Jaguar at the end of the lease for the MSRP. If that is true it may be enough to chance the reliability demons of the past.

I was also hoping someone could give use an idea on where to expect the price to be (between invoice and MSRP) if we where to decide to purchase outright. Only one dealer in town but one is about sixty miles north.

Thanks for any assistance.

Lester

Stuart
05-04-2004, 07:18 PM
I purchased a new 2004 XJ8 in December, and it has been absolutely flawless. Including rebates, I got exactly $10,000 off MSRP, in St. Petersburg, FL.

PaulNeko
05-04-2004, 07:21 PM
I think you'll find the '04 very reliable. I'm on my fifth Jaguar and I'm really enjoying the new '04. The new body is extremely rigid. Also the intial '04 reliability survey by JD Powers has the Jaguar #3 only behind Lexus and Cadillac?. There's about $5,000 profit between invoice and MSRP and the going rate right in So. CA. is about $1,500 to $1,800 above invoice.

alan
05-05-2004, 09:52 AM
My parents have owned several XJ8 and XJR of the model years you mentioned. They now own an '04 XJR (new X350) and say it is the best of the bunch. Still, the 2000-2003 models were great cars. They never had any major problems, and anything minor that did pop up was always handled right away under warranty.

The Lexus is also a very good car, but in my opinion, it lacks the style and presence of the Jaguar.

--Alan

GSDPack
05-05-2004, 12:32 PM
Hi Alan,

I think you are very accurate in the statement concerning style and presence. The Lexus seems to offer more features for the price but it is a rather antiseptic vehicle.

The residual quoted by the dealer after 39 months (38%) seems to indicate a huge depreciation but makes the car affordable for purchase.

The Jaguar site worked out a 39 month lease with $3600 down and came up with a monthly of about $914, with the 38% residual ($24,130) and payments ($39,126) makes total output $63376 on a MSRP of about $63,470. There may be an acquisition fee but those are usually about $500.

I do not understand how those numbers can be correct, that lets my wife buy the car if she wants and only pays out roughly the MSRP of the car. The Lexus lease on a similar MSRP results in much higher output after purchasing the car.

I may go back again this weekend and check his numbers again.

Lester

Al Carr
05-05-2004, 05:09 PM
I don't think reliability is an issue any longer. (Jos. Lucas Esq having vanished in a cloud of ozone sometime in the last decade) I had a '98 XJ8 that I got new in Dec of 98 that was the best car I've ever owned. One design flaw (putting all the instruments down in the bottom of holes so thet they couldn't be seen in the daylight if you were wearing sunglasses), but for the four years I owned it, NO reliability problems mechanical or electrical. I'm now in my third month w/ an '04 XJR that has not had a single problem. Nothing.
I must say, I liked the looks of the '98 better, but the looks of the '04 are growing on me and it is a much better car in many respects, one being the instrument display. It's much more rigid, roomier, better laid out on the inside, among other things.
A good friend has an '04 Lexus 430, which I've driven several times. My Jag drives and rides much better, but remember, it's the XJR, so I can't really speak to the XJ8, as I drove one only briefly. But so far as looks and presence and head-turning quotient, there's no camparison. The Jag wins going away.Can't comment much on the dealer pricing, as that seems to me to be a regional/individual dealer issue. I've bought both of mine from Scott in Charlotte NC and am pleased with the prices I paid.
Your wife deserves the Jag! I've owned a few upmarket cars, and based on my experience w/ the two Jags I've owned, there's nothing else like 'em. I'd get her the Jaguar.
So that's my $.02 worth.

Charlie
05-06-2004, 01:23 PM
I can add to Al's thoughts. I have an 04 XJ8 (with almost every option). Purchased for $8,000 under MSRP. It's been nearly flawless after 12,000 miles. Had the passenger door lock mechanism replaced early. Not that it didn't work, but my wife thought it was a little sticky. New part installed, no more problem. But that's it mechanically. As to the ride, best car I ever owned. Traded in an 01 S-type (which was also very reliable). The XJ8 rides and handles very well, the std V8 and 6-speed are a great drive train. Compared to a friends BMW 745, the Jag is a little softer, but much better looking. Compared to a friends LS430, the XJ is just much prettier and still very comparable in luxury and performance. How do they like my Jaguar? Easy answer is that I always get asked to drive. Comfort, handling, and it's a Jaguar, which I can't really define. Try the others, but you can't go wrong with the XJ8 in any trim.

Charlie

Bloodworm
06-21-2004, 05:59 PM
the all wheel drive and the all aluminium frame/body are a sweet upgrade from the years past. I have a 98xj8 and love it even though I have had the worst happen (timing chain breakage). fixed it myself, and I must say, the jaguar engineers know what they are doing when laying out the engine bay/engine. If I had the moneys to go with a 04, I would go just on the all wheel drive alone. most if not all of the problems with the v8 were ironed out with the 00 and up, and the newest v8 is a little bigger, with much better VVT and a dual row timing chain setup to boot! I too like the look of the 98-02 XJ8's better, but the all wheel drive is sweet!

RHankey
06-22-2004, 09:03 AM
Bloodworm, I think you're confusing the XJ8 and the X-Type. The X-Type can be AWD, but the 04-XJ's are still only offered in RWD. Or at least that's what I found when buying my 04 XJ8-VDP.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index