Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

gaby3169
06-05-2004, 07:05 PM
My girlfriend has a 300td.
I noticed there is some play in the steering wheel.

Anything I can quickly tighten?

Thanks

1985 300td 176k

C.D.02M.Diesel
06-06-2004, 07:34 PM
FIRST INSPECT ALL THE FRONT TIERODS, CENTER ROD , AND STEERING SHOCK (YOU NEED TO UNBOLT ONE END OF IT TO FEEL IF IT HAS LOST IT'S DAMPNING)FOR WORN AND LOOSE ENDS. THERE IS A PLAY ADJUSTMENT SET SCREW ON TOP OF THE STEERING GEAR BOX. YOU NEED AN ALLEN WRENCH AND 19MM SOCKET ON A LONG EXTENSION TO LOOSEN. FIRST MARK THE CENTER ALLEN SCREW POSITION IN RELATION TO THE BOX BEFORE LOOSENING THE LOCK NUT SO YOU HAVE A STARTING POINT REFERENCE. THEN TURN OUT 1/2 TURN ON THE ALLEN SCREW AND FEEL FOR IMPROVEMENT. ADJUSTING TOO TIGHT WILL RESULT IN A BINDING STEERING WHEEL. THAT'S TOO FAR.
<a href="http://www.continentalimports.com/ser_ic4232.html">SUSPENSION - ALIGNMENT READING MATERIAL</a>

gabe
06-21-2004, 02:52 PM
There is some play at the center of steering wheel,. i think perhaps a little more when turning left.

So i should just attempt to tighten the steering box?

C.D.02M.Diesel
06-21-2004, 10:41 PM

gabe
06-22-2004, 12:54 AM
what should i do diesel man?

C.D.02M.Diesel
06-22-2004, 05:52 AM
it takes a 1/2" drive socket on a long extension w/ breaker bar to loosen a never-before-loosened nut , and a strong - but "watch out where your elbow flys " when it breaks loose ! Re-tightening is then possible with a long wrench or 3/8" drive socket and extension & smaller breaker bar. Paint marking your starting point with the center adjusting allen is key because while turing the outer lock nut the center adjuster will also turn . Holding the center while snugging back the lock is nec.not to loose your new adjustment position.

Patience .

Creighton

gabe
06-23-2004, 04:37 PM
The nut is 19mm, correct?

Ive tried wrench and socket both dont work., I also sprayed it down with some ' as seen on tv ' nut busting liquid.

Still not budging.

SO I should use a longer extension?

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index