Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : How does this one sound-300SD

Jack
06-11-2004, 10:51 PM
Need some objective input- my old 88-528e is getting up in km. @ 330,000. found a 2 owner with history 1982-300SD with 150,000 miles. I like the old stuff, especially the idea of a diesel for a 150km daily commute. I can do most repairs, if needed, at my son-in-law farm shop. Haven't owned Mercedes before, but have had diesels. I feel if one puts on a $300 Racor fuel filter, you save yourself a bunch of service. Any input appreciated. Thanks

83 300sd
08-25-2004, 02:13 PM
i have a 300sd that my family has owned since new and she's still trucking after almost a quarter million miles. at 150k, the tranny will be the major concern area. the front clutches may need replacement, and the cost of doing it may cost more than getting a used tranny and swapping it in.

other than that, the car is almost bullet-proof. it's a bit slow off the mark, but once you get cruising, the car is great and pick-up is good for diesel of that age. brakes and handling is good too if the suspension is still in good shape.

rayh
09-07-2004, 06:07 PM
Hi;

I have had my 83 300sd for about 3 yrs now and just can't give it up...

I am having a rebuilt tranny installed as we speak (approx $2000)... Could have gone to the junk yard and got one for about $400, but really plan on keeping it for a while...

It is solid as a rock and I had some one who knew nothing about Mercedes trannys replace the tranny filter and oil and found out that they knew nothing about the car... Didn't drain the torque converter because he didn't know how and couldn't find the plug, and over filled the tranny...

A guy at Mercedes said that over filling wouldn't hurt the tranny, so maybe it was just time for it to go, but it happened right after I let the novice work on it...

I think it is one of the best cars I have ever owned... Has about 185K on it and the best mileage I have gotten on the freeway was 28mpg and that is an accurate reading for about 300 miles of driving... In town I only get about 21 mpg...

Also have been thinking about buying or making my own biodiesel... Making it yourself cost about 60 cents a gallon... I am in love with diesel, also...

Hell, all the truckers aren't driving gassers for a reason??? lol

Hope this has been a help...

Ray

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index