Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : New E500 (option'ed out) or E55

traitor
06-15-2004, 08:33 PM
(also posted on W211 board) Question for you folks: I am currently driving an '01 M5 which I would like to trade in for a new E-Class. The obvious choice is the E55 considering what I am used to; however with all the options I really want it would bring the car close to 100k (not as comfortable with that). My question is this: would I be happy with an E500 (amg) and options? List on the E500 with everything I want is around 77k, which is right in my price range. What do you guys think? thanks!

chazmtb
06-16-2004, 11:16 AM
Having owned a E500 without the whole list of options, I don't think it mattered that much. I would go with the power. The MB comes pretty well equipted as it is. Just opt for the sunroof and heated seats, harmon kardon and xenons. Throw in Nav for an extra 1200. That's all you'll need because the E55 has things standard(such as sport suspension and appearance package) that you would pay as an option on the E500. Mercedes really rapes you on the options. Anyway, the E55 is sick. The difference in power, the extra 180 HP puts you in 911 turbo teritory.

Oh by the way, a coworker has a brother that works for MBUSA. He said that the 7speed tranny is anoying. It is constantly shifting (don't know what that does for reliablity). I asked him why MB went with a 7 speed. He told me because BMW does not have one (talking about the 6 speed SMG).

AC
08-03-2004, 08:21 PM
I agree 100%. Had an 04 E500 loaded but the 7 speed tranny was a POS. The tranny is constantly hunting for right gear. The suspension was very soft considering it had Airmatic or whatever. Just picked up my 05 E55 (wish it was 04 because of free maintanence)and I can honestly say that the E55 feels like it has more "balls" than my Chipped and aftermarket Audi RS6. The torque on the E55 is just sick. The E55 IMO is the best balanced everyday car.

I'm debating between Renntech and Brabus right now on ECU upgrades.

Good Luck

Tobias
06-19-2005, 11:10 PM
Forget both and get the Kleemann ECU upgrade!

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index