Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

londonfog
06-19-2004, 03:01 AM
Has anyone done this before? I've got a 84 300D Turbo, and am contemplating making this conversion my next project. Any info on the subject will help me a lot.

Thanks.

adam
09-20-2004, 06:58 PM
Ive got an 83 300D Turbo and i have thought about doing the same thing. I have also thought about going larger on the Turbo and I am trying to find some diesel engine chips or anyone who knows much about them.

C.D.02M.Diesel
09-27-2004, 05:40 AM
NO - THERE ARE NO "ENGINE CHIPS" FOR THIS vintage M-B diesel .

good power and performance come from strong compression, injection pump timing, cam timing, good condition cam lobes, a trans that shifts correctly with correct modulator valve and vacuum control/shift control cable settings, correct valve clearance, correct turbo boost control with no air leaks , AND AN INJECTION PUMP THAT NOT BEEN MOLESTED .
PURELY THE BASICS FOLKS.

IT SHOULD FLY IF FACTORY SETTING ARE SESUMED.

PURCHASE THE FINE MERCEDES-BENZ REPAIR MANUAL AVAILABLE ON CD FROM YOUR NEARBY DEALER - - READ IT ! - - THEN GET WITH IT.

T.D.
10-14-2004, 03:35 AM
The modern diesels have electronically controlled injectors, thats why
you can get chips to increase fuel delivery and power. Since these old school motors have mechanical injection the timming and fuel amounts are fixed.
On top of everthing that 602 guy says-clean injector nozzles set to the right pressures make a big difference as well.

On the 5 speed conversion-Its definately possible with a bit of parts sourcing and modification. The 4 speed is easier though. When looking for the 5 speed make sure fith gear is over drive otherwise the benifits over the four become marginal. Also, what flywheel can you use? The only one avaialble in the US comes from the 240D which is much lighter than it should be-but then again if we were snobs about having everything original benz we wouldn't be contemplating a stickshift.

Good Luck
TD

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index