Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Toyuzu
07-01-2004, 12:25 AM
Hello,

I am fixing the leaking right inner CV boot on a friend's 82 300D. Here's the problem: He doesn't have the money to replace the whole axle, so I am considering using one of the aftermarket "split" CV boots. Has anyone else tried this fix before? If so how did it hold up?

Also, I noticed the fluid that came out of the joints is some type of oil, not CV axle grease like most other vehicles. (Please forgive my MB ignorance here) Will there be any problems with using grease? I can't imagine the split boot would hold in the oil very well.

I would be grateful for any help.

Thanks.

C.D.02M.Diesel
07-01-2004, 05:57 AM
the split boot repair is ok , and it is a very thick oil that refills the joint , not grease . If the boot has been open for any period of time and water and dirt have entered - the CV bearings are TOAST. Tell the friend to park the car , ride a bike, save the money , and just replace the axle shaft . A failed CV joint can be real ugly at highway speeds ! , and , then cost more than it needs now.
http://www.roadfly.org/mercedes-benz/gallery/photos/photos-06-2004/22-8625961.JPG

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index