Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

bmwlotus
07-04-2004, 07:51 PM
Hello,

I know this is a Lotus board, but just wondering. If you had the choice to pick between getting any Lotus V-8 you can find on the market (new or used), or a 2001/02 Porsche Twin Turbo...which one would you pick and why?

The car of your choice will be used 80% as a weekend car, and 20% as daily driver in semi to heavy traffic conditions (Los Angeles area).

Peter

alan
07-04-2004, 10:48 PM
...but I would pick the Esprit V8 for several reasons. I have driven both cars so I feel semi-qualified to respond objectively to this question.

1) Style. This is subjective so only you can decide which car you like more. I like the look of the Esprit more. While to those in the know, the 911 turbo looks very different than the regular 911, to the vast majority of the public it is "just another 911". The Esprit will never be "just another Esprit"--any Esprit brings looks of delight and shock to those that see it on the road because it is so rare. 911s are everywhere by contrast.

2) Performance. The 911 turbo is supposed to be a little bit faster than the Esprit V8 according to magazine tests. But, it doesn't feel like it to the old 'butt dyno'. The Esprit V8 is more engaging to drive and gives you more feedback from the road. If you were strictly interested in drag racing, you might pick the 911 turbo for the couple of tenths of second advantage you might get if you shifted each car perfectly. The Esprit V8 corners like just about nothing else on the road, by contrast, and feels more fun to drive.

3) Comfort. The 911 turbo is a little more comfortable than the Esprit V8, and I don't mean that in a good way. It is too cushy. You don't feel the road as much. Shift throws are exceedingly long and numb. The engine sound is too muted from inside the cabin.

As for maintenance, a properly-maintained Esprit V8 should not be any more expensive to maintain than a 911 turbo. In fact, my Esprit V8 has had less warranty issues than my friend's 911 turbo.

Drive both and let us know what you decide!
--Alan

bmwlotus
07-07-2004, 01:12 AM
I will have to go and drive the Porsche to see how different it drive from an Esprit. Will let you know what I decide at the end.

Elixir
07-10-2004, 02:07 AM

Elixir
07-10-2004, 02:11 AM
Buy the Esprit...the Porsche TT will cost you about $30k more (new that is). Other than that it depends on what you're looking for in a sports car.

bmwlotus
07-11-2004, 07:12 PM
Lotus or Porsche?

sobemike
07-14-2004, 01:11 AM
I had a choice of gettig a 996 TT or my current '02 Lotus and I bought a Lotus. After owning two porsches '94 3.6 and a '99, I finally got my Lotus and I love it. The 996 has lost the true Porsche feeling that my 94 turbo had, moreover, due to the extremely attractive lease programs on 996 cars, you see more of them than any car out there. My friend has a 996 TT with upgrades HRE wheels and H&R suspension and could not keep up with the Esprit's handling on the canyons. I know you say it depends on who drives it but tire noise speaks alot of its performance. I am going to run my car to see where I am 1/4 mile time with my K&N filter and straight pipe exhaust. Here is a link to hear and see my car roar....

http://www.imagestation.com/album/index.html?id=4286357365

Peter
07-21-2004, 02:28 AM

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index