Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

AndyO
07-12-2004, 09:51 AM
MUNICH, Germany -- BMW AG thinks its new 1-series small sedan can lure buyers from the Volkswagen Golf and other mass-market cars in Europe.

The 1 series is the latest entry in an entry-level premium segment that includes the Audi A3, Mercedes-Benz A class, Alfa Romeo 147 and BMW's own Mini brand.

BMW believes the 1 series will compete directly with the Audi A3 and Alfa 147, and also tempt buyers from the top-of-the-line VW Golf. BMW believes the A class is not a direct competitor.

The 1 series will go on sale in Europe in September. The base model four-door 116i with a 115-hp, 2.0-liter gasoline-powered engine costs $24,300 - $995 more than a four-door Golf with a 115-hp engine.

"I'm sure that got Wolfsburg's attention," says Bernd Hassenjuergen, a 1-series project team member.

Few 1-series vehicles are likely to be sold without air conditioning or alloy wheels, which push the price above $27,000.

BMW says it will sell the 1 series in the United States but won't say when. The current hatchback model is offered only with four-cylinder 2.0-liter gasoline and diesel engines. The engine bay is large enough for any engine from BMW's 3 series range.

"We have an explicit six-cylinder strategy in the U.S.," Hassenjuergen says. "We think a hatchback would, in the long run, possibly hurt our brand image in the U.S."

AR67Duetto
07-12-2004, 10:44 AM
In a comparo, 120i vs. Golf GT FSI, author Georg Kacher concludes:

<i>"After 30 years of dominance, the Golf has been beaten."</i>

Then, on pg. 80-81, 120i vs. MINI Cooper S, Kacher writes:

<i>"This is a very tough call. If the 1-series on test had been the diesel, we might have favoured it over the Mini. But up against the 120i on the same roads, the Cooper S was the better car."</i>

EdP
07-12-2004, 01:14 PM
>The base model four-door 116i with a 115-hp, 2.0-liter gasoline->powered engine costs $24,300 - $995 more than a four-door Golf with >a 115-hp engine.

The 116i model has a 2.0-liter engine?? It's a 1.6-liter....
...and the BMW is just $995 more expensive than Golf 1.6i??? I did once a comparison and found a difference of more than $4000.

EdP

tg
07-12-2004, 02:18 PM
1.6 is right,but price difference indeed is less than 1k for the base 4door model if you take the golf fsi for comparision.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index