Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

compuz1
07-21-2004, 10:57 AM
Two weeks ago I ordered the '05 Super V8 from Jaguar of Great Neck, NY. Great people and service dept! Ordered Black/Charcoal with in car phone. Excited as hell! Will wite a review when I take delivery in Sept!

Until then I have my lemon-of-a-car... '01 BMW740il
It broke down a week after purchase as a new car. Over the course of ownership, had to get new transmission, nav system, cell phone system etc. etc. etc. I will never buy another BMW. I will always stay with Benz/Jag!

Is the in-car telephone for Jag a v60 or timeport?

Al Carr
07-22-2004, 08:18 AM
between a Super V8, the XJ8 and the VP? Is the Super V8 a "sport" version of the XJ8? Or is it equipped like the XJR w/o the supercharger?
Just curious
Thanks
Al Carr
'04 XJR

Al Carr
07-22-2004, 08:25 AM
the '04 XJR over the BMW 645 and couldn't be more pleased with the car. And I'm delighted not to have to deal w/ the BMW technology and electronic foibles -- just take a look at the Roadfly 645 Board! Several years ago who would'a thunk that we'd be PRAISING a Jaguar's electronics (may Jos Lucas Esq Rest in Peace!) ?!?

Eurotoys
07-22-2004, 10:09 AM
It has the XJR Supercharged drivetrain in a Vanden Plas car. The best in the XJ series.

Mike

Al Carr
07-22-2004, 10:14 AM
it also have the XJR brakes/suspension?

compuz1
07-22-2004, 09:22 PM
I completely agree re: BMW electronics. And I'm so glad I didn't wait for new 7 series. Who thought up iDrive? I wonder how many accidents it has caused!

compuz1
07-22-2004, 09:24 PM
It has the Brembo brakes... not sure about the suspension.

Vic
07-24-2004, 08:00 PM
I'm curious. Wouldn't the XKR have been a better choice if you were considering the 645 BMW ? Did you just want more room ?

Al Carr
07-25-2004, 04:57 PM
but I decided against the XK for several reasons, some of which were common to the 645 as well. As background, my coupe experiences and expactations are based on 7 yrs ownership of a '93 850Ci. I loved that car, and it was a superb one, so my standards are pretty high. It drove beautifully, and in my view the styling of that car is spectacular; the V12 was great; and I never saw a single component that I thought had been compromised for cost putposes. Plus, and this was important to me, the front and rear windows lowered completely, with no B pillar, and the large sunroof slid back to open up so that under those conditions it was almost like driving a convertible. In addition, the rear seatbacks folded flat, and thus formed a platform for "stuff". Since the rear seats were useless for human habitation, that turned otherwise useless space into a very convenient area.
Now, to the XK and 645.
First, the seats were too high for me in the XK, and caused me to sit too high in the car -- I prefer an upright driving position, so that for the three days I had one to try, I was constantly ducking my head to see traffic lights, etc. (And in the convertible, which I tried for a day, the windshield cut right across my line of vision.) Second, no sunroof - which for me is a must-have -- is available on the coupe, and the rear windows are fixed. That ruled out the XK. The 645? Let's just say that I'm not a Chris Bangle/Adrien Van Hooeydonk fan, and leave it at that for the time being. That was a factor, though I think the styling of the 645 is much better than the 7 and 5. Further, though, the 645 rear windows are fixed, the rear seats don't fold down, and that huge sunroof doesn't open, but only tilts up in the rear. In addition, I was skeptical about the electronics and at my age don't want to be bothered w/ trying to learn IDrive. Based on what I see on the Roadfly 645 BB, the electronucs are indeed a problem on at least some of the cars. I'm sure in about 3 years the 645 will be a fine car, but it's clear that BBMW ain't done workin' on it yet.
Sorry for rambling on so long, but there you have it. Hope I answered your question.
Al

Mr Jaguar
07-27-2004, 06:57 PM
You can choose between the Sports and Comfort suspension, standard it has the Comfort suspension.

Mr Jaguar

P.S. Did you choose Ebony black or Midnight black?

Ebony is solid and Midnight is metallic.

RickKap
07-28-2004, 02:05 AM
Does the sport suspension of the 05 Super V8 have the suspension of the XJR?

Don't the XJ Sport models have the same suspension as the regular XJs?

Mr Jaguar
07-28-2004, 05:48 AM
The Sport suspension on the Super V8 and the XJR is the same.

I also know that the air suspension on the XJR and Sport models is the same and I think that the rest of the suspension is also the same.

Mr Jaguar

compuz1
07-28-2004, 08:13 AM
Ended up getting the Ebony Black. Also got the charcoal interior.

Mr Jaguar
07-28-2004, 06:15 PM
Sport Suspension is only available on the SWB so the Super V8 has the "softer" touring/comfort suspension.

Mr Jaguar

RHankey
07-29-2004, 03:53 PM
I'd thought I heard recently (on this board?) that the 05-VDP was to be offerred only in a LWB, and that the 04-VDP was to be the only year for the SWB.

To the best of my knowledge the SWB 04-VDP was only offered with the "softer" touring/comfort suspension. At least that was what I found when I bought my 04-VDP in Canada.

Are you implying there is a SWB 05-VDP, and that one can order it with either the soft or sport suspension?

Vic
07-31-2004, 02:12 PM
Thanks for the detailed reply. It must have been difficult to give up the 850, surely one of BMWs best efforts.

Mr Jaguar
08-06-2004, 08:23 AM
With the SWB you can choose between Sport and Comfort suspension.

LWB is always Comfort suspension.

On the old X308 you could order a sport suspension for a LWB.

Mr Jaguar

RHankey
08-06-2004, 03:13 PM
Comfort suspension was the only option for the Canadian destined (and I believe US too) 2004 XJ8 and XJ8-VDP - both SWB only. I don't ahve a problem with the comfort suspension, but having come from a vette, I'd would have preferred the sport suspension had I been able to get it.

Perhaps comfort/sport suspension is a 2005 option, or an 2004 option in other geographic areas.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index