Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : Erratic Wiper Operation

VirginiaMike
08-24-2004, 12:00 PM
The wipers on my 1999 XJ8 VDP have developed a mind of their own! On the delay and continuous settings they sometimes stop mid-screen/wipe then re-start for a while, only to stop in a different place. Switching from delay to continuous normally kick starts them. Occationally they don't work at all. They've even continued their merry dance as I'm walking away from the car (after I've removed the key from the ignition)!
Any ideas?

Doug XJ8L
08-25-2004, 09:15 AM
I have know idea what's causing the problem, but get it taken care of at the dealer. You have a warranty so there should be no charge. The last thing you want; is to be caught in a rain storm, while driving the Interstate, after dark.

RHankey
08-25-2004, 10:46 AM
You might try posting your question to the "XJ8/XJR" which covers your model year, as the X350 covers 2004 and newer.

Sounds like a damaged wire. The wires that run up the steering column can become damaged or broken over time from adjusting the steering position. Perhaps there are other controls on the steering column or steering wheel that have become flakey or inoperative too?

In addition to the reasons Doug gave to take it to the dealer, it's probably unwise to be messing with steering column wires when there is an armed and dangerous airbag nearby controled by wires in that same harness.

Vic
08-26-2004, 09:08 PM
Realys are the most common problem. They are behind the left headlight support, inboard of the abs pump/module. Relatively cheap to replace both.

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index