Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

sageva
09-10-2004, 02:41 AM
I checked the service history with the dealership that serviced this car (2002 M3 SMG) which currently has 34000 miles - only one service done, which was at 1,400 miles - i.e. break in. None of the service recalls have been done, etc, etc. I checked the oil visually - and it seems clear and upto the correct level. Dealership which is selling this car does not have any other service history - oil changes, etc. Claims the oil changes may have been done by the previous owner himself or a jiffy lube place.. Can't imagine why someone would choose to forego the free 3 yr/36k mile maintenance. The price is great, so, what do you y'all think in the light of this information - walk away?
TIA

!
09-10-2004, 03:11 AM
For the 1200 mile service to be done at 1400 says the owner clearly isn't a fanatic, but that by itself is hardly damning.

Nothing wrong with asking for receipts for oil changes, even if he did them himself he should keep receipts for the oil and filter.

Curious, what does the service interval indicator say when you turn the car on? Inspection 1 should be about due/overdue now. What's the max mileage between intervals? Even at 15,000, it would have hit Insp 1 at 30k.

If you really want to be sure, get a sample of the oil and have it tested. If it's 10W60, and contaminants are within acceptable limits, you're probably fine. If it's not, run away.

I'm kind of curious what would happen if you drove an M3 into Jiffy Lube -- I'm pretty sure their computer will tell them what kind of oil to use based on the model, and they're not going to stock the Castrol 10W60.

Socom
09-10-2004, 10:12 AM
without doing the service.03' ZHP , Sapphire Black, Black Leather, Xenons , Moonroof

M3Jim
09-10-2004, 10:58 AM
If not CPO-ed, walk away

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index