Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : etype advice

BDWN
09-28-2004, 08:23 AM
Can you help?! I've got a '67 S1 2+2 and after about 30 minutes of driving, it starts to cut in and out intermittently as if the petrol is failing to get through or an there is an electrical short. There is no difference when the choke is in or out, and it isn't the breather pipe from the fuel tank. When I drove it in wet and cold whether, it didn't do it as opposed to the summer when it happens every time. Electrical possibly? But what and where?! I need a few pointers otherwise it's an expensive trip to the garage. Thanks for reading.

Mark
10-02-2004, 10:04 AM
I would have to let you know to begin to look at the fuel pump on your car. These original type of electric fuel pumps had points on them that are notorious for going out of adjustment. There are new 'LUCAS' electric fuel pumps that are now all transistorized with no points -- although both types of pumps are now available; so be careful if it is in fact the fuel pump and you want one over another. It may affect you more in warmer weather than cooler weather if it's the points as well because of more expansion in more heat. I would also do another easy do-it-yourselfer fix and install a new fuel filter at the fuel bowl. You may also want to check the points in your distributor and make sure that the points are good under the cap, that you do have a good distributor cap, and the condensor is good too. It sounds that you either have (1) a fuel starvation problem in the fuel delivery system, or (2) the spark somewhere in the distributor through the coil is getting weak. There are a lot of parts involved in these two separate systems, but they are all pretty simple to check if you have knowledge of these systems. A good guide would be the Jaguar E-Type workshop manual from Robert Bentley. These are good factory workshop manual reprints that can guide you through these two systems to figure your car out, and they are not all that expensive either. I have included a link to their website, and I know it is more than likely available on Amazon.com too.

Hope that this helps.

rich
11-16-2004, 11:37 PM
had an old Saab that had a soft rubber hose joining the fuel pump to the pickup get sucked in between the two when things got warm. cuts off fuel for 20 - 30 minutes after about 30 - 45 minutes of driving. REALLY elusive. Maybe it applies?

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index